general question re resetting/renewing IP connection

Old June 4th 09, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Dave Horne[_2_]

Default general question re resetting/renewing IP connection

First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if it is
not, please advise.

I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium. On
occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate that
the connection is lost. If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect the cables, I
can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. I assume the computer looks
and finds a new address from my IP.

Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried ipconfig /renew but
received the following message - An error occured while renewing interface
Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has
timed out. [end quote]

My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from my
provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?

Thanks, Dave Horne

Old June 5th 09, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Sinner[_2_]

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
[...]

Most cable ISPs don't change your IP address very frequently. You'd have to
be off-line for at least 2 days before they'd change it out. At least
that's the way Comcast works around here.

Old June 5th 09, 08:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Dave Horne[_2_]

"Sinner" wrote in message

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
[...]

That may be, but I've found by manually unplugging the modem and router, and
reconnecting, I can more often than not get back online.

I was wondering if there is a software version (ipconfig \renew) of the
manual unplugging? Thanks, DH

Old June 5th 09, 08:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Gordon[_9_]

"Dave Horne" wrote in message

"Sinner" wrote in message

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
[...]

Try right-clicking on the network icon in the systray and choosing "diagnose
and repair"....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Old June 5th 09, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
daleeh

Dave,
The symptoms you describe would indicate a problem with the ISP
connection, not your computer. If the modem indicates lost connection
on the Internet side, then that is something you need to address to
you ISP. You mentioned a cable modem but not the ISP. I have Comcast
and the last time I experienced similar problems, they had to replace
the modem.

One way to ensure Vista is working properly with your router is to
make sure the router DHCP service is configured correctly. Then the
best way to reacquire an IP on your computer is first use the
IPCONFIG /release command to release the IP and then IPCONFIG /renew
to reacquire an IP. Also, I've heard that it helps in Vista to turn
off the IPv6 service unless your router specifically supports it.

When restarting your modem and router, it works best to shut down the
router, then the modem, disconnect the incoming cable to the modem,
wait about 5 or 10 minutes, then reconnect the cable, power up the
modem and wait until its lights indicate a good connection on the WAN
or Internet side, then power up the router. Wait about 5 more minutes
to allow you computer to acquire an IP address from the router or run
the IPCONFIG commands in sequence.

Hope this helps,

Dale

Old June 5th 09, 10:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
daleeh

Since he stated "If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
modem and router..." I have to assume he has both.

Dave, please clarify and maybe give us the make and model of each
device.

Dale

"daleeh" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Dave Horne- Hide quoted text -

Old June 5th 09, 10:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Sinner[_2_]

"daleeh" wrote in message
Since he stated "If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
modem and router..." I have to assume he has both.

Oops!

Old June 7th 09, 07:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Dave Horne[_2_]

My modem and router work just fine. There are times during the day (when
kids come home from school and parents come home from work) that I can not
_sometimes_ access the internet. This is just a question of too many folks
being online at the same time. If I manually unplug the router and modem,
more often than not I can suceed in getting back online. I'm only asking if
there's a way .... (ipconfig .... ?) to do the same but using software to
obtain a new address. That's all.

Around 12 noon, when the kids come home for lunch, I can expect not to be
able to always get online and early in the evening when all the Dads comes
home from work, I can expect to have the same problem. I have the modem
next to my monitor and I can see the number of LEDs on or off (Power,
Receive, Send, Online, PC Activity, Standby). When I can't get online,
instead of seeing five LEDs, I'll see one or two or three; I can see the
modem trying to get back online and it's usually the time when the kids come
home for lunch or the parents come home from work.

My modem and router are working just fine - I jusr want to know if using,
say, ipconfig at a cmd prompt and using the resetting switch is what I can
also do (instead of manually unplugging the electric cable from both the
modem and router. Is this more clear? Thanks!

Dave Horne

Old June 7th 09, 08:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Sinner[_2_]

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
[...]

Well, my Motorola Surfboard has a menu that will allow me to reboot it from
my computer. I just connect to 192.168.100.1, the IP address of the modem.

When it's operating normally, I connect through the router. When it's not
operating correctly, I have to plug the computer directly into the modem via
the Ethernet cable. Of course moving the Cat5 cable is no easier than
unplugging the modem's power cable.

There is no command that can be issued by Windows that will cause the modem,
or router, to reset.