Screwed Permissions/Sharing...help PLEASE

Old June 6th 09, 04:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Rod

Default Screwed Permissions/Sharing...help PLEASE

Hi

two separate, but inter-related stories.

1. A few months ago we had a visitor stay from Europe (I am in Perth,
Australia) so I decided to 'hide' my files (kept on a separate D drive) so
that IF he wanted to use my PC he wouldn't see them.

2. Almost at the same time I decided to partition my C drive into 2 separate
drives (creating a drive I named "W", and installed Windows 7 onto W.

That left me with a C drive (Vista), a D Drive (files and I-tunes) and W
drive (Win 7).

Of course I screwed up the settings and permissions...now I - as the only
user of this PC - cannot see my own I-Tunes folders and songs on D drive
when I am using Win7, and when using Vista cannot access my other files
(Word and Excel files predominately) on the D drive . And when using ANY
program on my Vista HDD, I have to run them as administrator.

This I have done by setting permissions (from within Win7) to have "All
Authenticated Users" be able to use my files on D Drive (and I HAD to do
this to every folder on D Drive and EVERY file in these folders!).

I am thinking that, when using Vista, I have to copy all I-tunes files FROM
the D Drive and into the Public Shared folder on my C Drive and likewise,
when I boot to my Win7 o/s, I have to copy all files (Word, Excel etc) from
D Drive to the Public shared folder in the W Drive. Then FROM Win7 I can
see the files in the public shared folder on W drive AND the I-tunes stuff
in C Drive's Public Shared folder, and likewise when using Vista on C Drive
I can see and use I-tunes stuff on the C Drive and all my other files on W
Drive's Public Shared folder. (HAVING JUST TRIED THIS _ IT DID NOT WORK - I
COULD SEE THE FILES -WORD, EXCEL etc IN THE W DRIVE PUBLIC AREA WHEN USING
C/VISTA O/S BUT COULDN'T OPEN THEM)

Seems awfully messy.... so...IS there anyway to resolve this mess by
'restoring" file settings/drive settings etc so no matter which operating
system I use, I CAN access and use everything that's on my own D Drive?

Windows7, incidentally, works like a dream! Though my Vista does too!

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Old June 6th 09, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Dave[_29_]

You might try this...
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...ownership.html

I'd take ownership in both OS.

Did you run Attrib to remove the hidden attribute?

attrib -s -h -r D:\ /d

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview