Vista shared file visibility from XP machine

Old June 9th 09, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
HustlingHare

Default Vista shared file visibility from XP machine

I've followed (I think) all the steps necessary to share a folder on my
newly buile Vista x64 machine. Checked and double checked against help at MS
help pages and web help pages and other posting answers. On my XP machine I
can see the folder name in My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows
Network\se\my_computer_name\my_folder where se is the workgroup name I have
chosen and it is the same in both computers. When I click on my_folder to
see the files and folders withing I get: "my_folder is not accessible. You
may not have permission to use this network resource...." What am I missing?

Old June 9th 09, 12:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Malke[_2_]

HustlingHare wrote:

I've followed (I think) all the steps necessary to share a folder on my
newly buile Vista x64 machine. Checked and double checked against help at
MS
help pages and web help pages and other posting answers. On my XP machine
I can see the folder name in My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft
Windows
Network\se\my_computer_name\my_folder where se is the workgroup name I
have
chosen and it is the same in both computers. When I click on my_folder to
see the files and folders withing I get: "my_folder is not accessible.
You
may not have permission to use this network resource...." What am I
missing?

Did you remember to create identical user accounts/passwords on both
machines? If yes, then set permissions on the folder to Everyone. If no,
see details below.

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Vista - Start OrbSearch boxtype: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple
File Sharing (Folder OptionsView tab).

Malke
--
MS-MVP