114 Gb hard drive missing!!!

Old June 10th 09, 06:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
speeddemon190

Default 114 Gb hard drive missing!!!

Well after a few years I decided to restore my laptop back to the
factory settings. So I backed up all my files onto a external hard
drive.

I put in the recovery disk, and restored it back to the original.

Here is the problem, When I bought it new my C drive was 140 GB. Now my
C drive is 26GB what happened and where did it all go?????

any advice?

--
speeddemon190
Old June 11th 09, 01:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jon Wallace

It's possible that your restore disk has resized your partitions and for
whatever reason chose to use 26GB instead of the full 140GB.

Do you know if your restore disk actually went through a Windows setup or
just put an image onto the machine and then booted.

Right-click on 'Computer' and choose 'Manage'. Below 'Storage' go into
'Disk Management'. Have a look at your partitions here to see if you can
see the rest of your disk. If it's there but not part of your main
partition your probably going to have to resize it or create a second
partition to use the space.

Regards,
Jon

www.insidetheregistry.com

---

Old June 11th 09, 02:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
speeddemon190

well from what i can tell it went through and did not just create an
image. I put the disk in and rebooted. it told me i would loose all
info. then after it asked if i had any supplemental software to insert
disks and if not hit cancel. then it just kept restarting itself over
and over for about 3 hours. and everytime is started back up the
original icons started appearing on the desktop one at a time. So i
figured it was installing all of the original software.

--
speeddemon190
Old June 11th 09, 01:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

"speeddemon190" wrote in message

Well after a few years I decided to restore my laptop back to the
factory settings. So I backed up all my files onto a external hard
drive.

I put in the recovery disk, and restored it back to the original.

Here is the problem, When I bought it new my C drive was 140 GB. Now my
C drive is 26GB what happened and where did it all go?????

any advice?

--
speeddemon190

Disk Management should show what is going on with the harddrive and make
changes. If the missing space is unused or in an unprepared partition you
can expand C: into it.

Old June 11th 09, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
speeddemon190

perfect thats exactly what I did. THanks for the help guys I appreciate
it. First i just formatted the unallocated drive and named it A. but i
couldnt put any info onto the drive, so i deleted the volume and
expanded my C drive. thanks for the help

--
speeddemon190