Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Vista does not boot after update

Old June 12th 09, 09:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
copiloto

Default Vista does not boot after update

Hello,
Vista suggest me to install updates before exiting. I´ve accepted. My
laptop now cannot boot, it begin showing the Microsfoft Vsita initial
progess bar and then a
blue window with some mumbers (nonsense STOP: 0x00008086
(0x0000000000000301, 0x00000000000001C8, 0x0000000000000002,
0x000000000000000000) and come back to the BIOS start!!.

I can boot from the Vista DVD. I´ve tried to repair boot automatically
but it fails.
Restoring to any of the 3 restoring points available does not work
either.

I can get into de system with the command prompt window from the DVD
boot and
this way I could rescue my data, but I would not like to have to
install all the programs again witn a new clean installation of Vista.

Any suggestion please??
(Vista Home Premium 64 bits)

--
copiloto
Old June 12th 09, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Questor[_2_]

---
[...]

Try Google search with "Vista stop code 8086". There are a load of hits
on this.

Questor
Old June 12th 09, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
R. C. White

Hi, copiloto.

blue window with some mumbers (nonsense STOP: 0x00008086

You've discovered the famous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). That screen was
very familiar to users of WinXP and prior, but we are seeing that much less
often in Vista in Win7. ;)

Those number may be meaningless to you (and mostly to me), but they tell a
very interesting story to those who know how to read them. My usual
starting place for researching STOP Codes is the AumHa page at
http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm, but that site is undergoing some
reconstruction at the moment and I didn't see 00008086 there when I looked
just now.

As Questor says, do a search (Google or Microsoft's new Bing) - but search
for the full "STOP: 0x00008086". Searching for just "8086" gets millions of
hits for the original Intel 8086 CPU. :(

Bing gets 247 hits on "STOP: 0x00008086" (although many are redundant
references to the same threads). Looks like they are mostly about Dell
machines with the Intel Application Accelerator and the recommendation is
often to run CHKDSK /r. But I haven't followed the links to see if there
was feedback reporting a resolution. Here's one such thread:
http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.a...ode-0x00008086

If you need to post back, please include a basic description of your
hardware.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old February 25th 10, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
swarmedddd

Hello, Same thing has happened to me and my girlfriend and a buddy of
ours actually. Very weird I thought it was just her laptop sucking, but
really mine is a fairly new one and since an update recently its been
not recognizing when I push the power button, no warning of low battery
before it shuts off... fails to boot with the same thing EXCEPT its not
the blue screen of death, its on a cycle of failing to boot at the
microsoft loading bar then says it failed and starts over. I dont know
whats going on here.

I can boot with a Vista disc and "repair" it but it still happens again
every now and then.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2

Hewlett-Packard