Vista Banter

-   -   dvd 's not recognized but CD can.why? urgent. serious problem. (http://www.vistabanter.com/164513-dvd-s-not-recognized-but-cd-can-why-urgent-serious-problem.html)

harsha[_2_] June 13th 09 04:12 PM

dvd 's not recognized but CD can.why? urgent. serious problem.

im facing a new problem, that my dvd writer cant recognize DVD"S and it
is saying that "Insert Disk in the Drive", that too after 10 - 15 min.
if i click on the cd/dvd drive it is hanging up.

only the dvd's, that too all kinds of dvd's have the same thing

and each and every CD , all kinds from movies to games and softwares,
all are reading and writing.

why? please help me in this.its urgent.this problem is just from
yesterday morning.
mine is a HP notebook and slimtype sony dvd writer with lightscribe.

--
harsha

Malke[_2_] June 13th 09 04:42 PM

harsha wrote:

im facing a new problem, that my dvd writer cant recognize DVD"S and it
is saying that "Insert Disk in the Drive", that too after 10 - 15 min.
if i click on the cd/dvd drive it is hanging up.

only the dvd's, that too all kinds of dvd's have the same thing

and each and every CD , all kinds from movies to games and softwares,
all are reading and writing.

why? please help me in this.its urgent.this problem is just from
yesterday morning.
mine is a HP notebook and slimtype sony dvd writer with lightscribe.

This usually indicates a failing optical drive. There are two lasers, one
for CDs and one for DVDs. It is common for one of the lasers to fail,
necessitating replacement of the optical drive.

You can try a drive cleaner (can get them at computer and office supply
stores) first but if that doesn't work, order a new optical drive from HP.
They are easy to replace.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

harsha[_2_] June 13th 09 05:02 PM

dvd 's not recognized but CD can.why? urgent. serious problem.

; Wrote:

its a brand new one just a month and half old.. though can i get the
probs.?

--
harsha

Curious[_4_] June 13th 09 05:49 PM

DVD 's not recognized but CD can.why? urgent. serious problem.

Early life failure of electronic components is common just RMA the drive.
IMHO if an electronic system/component works for the first 3-4 months then
it is probably good for many years.

Peter Foldes June 13th 09 06:58 PM

dvd 's not recognized but CD can.why? urgent. serious problem.

See the following and implement
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052/en-us
--
Peter

Manny Weisbord June 13th 09 07:08 PM

harsha wrote:

; Wrote:

its a brand new one just a month and half old.. though can i get the
probs.?

Call the support desk for your system and see about warranty coverage.

Richard Urban June 14th 09 06:01 AM

dvd 's not recognized but CD can.why? urgent. serious problem.

I have had two Sony DVD combo drives fail in that exact same way. Notice I
said the drives failed. So did yours.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

harsha[_2_] June 14th 09 04:59 PM

Peter Foldes;1065295 Wrote:
See the following and implement
'When you insert a CD or a DVD, Windows Vista may not recognize the
disc' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052/en-us)
--
Peter

"harsha" wrote in message

im facing a new problem, that my dvd writer cant recognize DVD"S and

it
is saying that "Insert Disk in the Drive", that too after 10 - 15

min.
if i click on the cd/dvd drive it is hanging up.

only the dvd's, that too all kinds of dvd's have the same thing

and each and every CD , all kinds from movies to games and softwares,
all are reading and writing.

why? please help me in this.its urgent.this problem is just from
yesterday morning.
mine is a HP notebook and slimtype sony dvd writer with lightscribe.

--
harsha

i said that some are recognized( some cd's) and no dvd.
anyway i checked all are enabled already.
thanks.

--
harsha

harsha[_2_] June 14th 09 05:01 PM

Manny Weisbord;1065303 Wrote:
harsha wrote:

; Wrote:
its a brand new one just a month and half old.. though can i get

the
probs.? Call the support desk for your system and see about warranty coverage.

ya i called him.he told that he comes as early as possible.
i will keep it posted, for the others.

--
harsha