Vista SP2 - USB keyboard and mouse disconnect after waking from sl

Old June 15th 09, 12:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jon H

Default Vista SP2 - USB keyboard and mouse disconnect after waking from sl

After installing Vista SP2 both my Logitech EX 100 keyboard and mouse (which
are connected via the same USB wireless reciever) will disconnect after the
computer wakes from being asleep. They are connected during sleep and can be
used to wake the computer, but once the logon screen is displayed they stop
working. After several seconds the Windows hardware disconnection sound
plays, and then sone time later the connection sound plays. Several seconds
after this the keyboard and mouse start working again. This can all take up
to a minute and is very annoying.

I am sure that SP2 is causing this problem as I have removed it using System
Restore and the problem disappears. After reinstalling SP2 the problem
reappears. Reinstalling drivers for the hardware does not solve the poroblem.

If I connect the wireless reciever to a USB port on a PCI card as opposed to
ones on the mother board the problem does not occour, however this is not
convenient as the keyboard is not recognised when the computer starts and so
Windows will not load.

I have also posted this problem on the Vista SP2 release notes page.
Old June 28th 09, 05:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
S_Circuit

I had similar problems - my mouse would no longer reconnect when waking from
sleep after installing Vista SP2. I tried many registry edits suggested on
the web, change my USB Root Hub power management to not sleep, etc. and
nothing worked. So, I uninstalled SP2 via add/remove programs and that fixed
my problem. Bottom line - Vista SP2 causes USB wake problems.

Old December 20th 09, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scape279

"Jon H" wrote:

[...]

I had a similar problem. Upon waking the machine, I heard two
'disconnect' sounds then the USB keyboard and USB mouse didn't work. I
hadn't installed anything recently, was just a normal day in the office.

To resolve (worked for me):

Disconnect both devices.
Reconnect into different USB ports.
Connect sound should play.
If only the mouse works, use on screen keyboard to enter password.
After a while the keyboard started working too.

--
scape279

Old December 25th 09, 01:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cyl3erunion

For me, I hate sleeps so I don't get this problem. Instead, my USB mouse
doesn't "connect" during boot-up.

I personally conclude that SP1/SP2 did something to how the USB is
activated/deactivated in Vista. For my case, because the USB detected no
signals from my mouse, it was "deactivated" and my mouse is not
installed / "connected". I have to unplug the USB and replug it in. My
solution is to move my mouse around during boot-up, before the
motherboard starts loading the OS, to make sure there are signals
running down the USB cable.

No problems with my USB keyboard.

--
Cyl3erunion

Old December 31st 09, 07:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
smlunatick

On Dec 25, 1:59*pm, Cyl3erunion wrote:
For me, I hate sleeps so I don't get this problem. Instead, my USB mouse
doesn't "connect" during boot-up.

I personally conclude that SP1/SP2 did something to how the USB is
activated/deactivated in Vista. For my case, because the USB detected no
signals from my mouse, it was "deactivated" and my mouse is not
installed / "connected". I have to unplug the USB and replug it in. My
solution is to move my mouse around during boot-up, before the
motherboard starts loading the OS, to make sure there are signals
running down the USB cable.

No problems with my USB keyboard.

--
Cyl3erunion

Motherboard drivers could help by installing / updating the USB / IRQ
drivers.

Also, a vast number of USB mouse drivers have been "posted" to cause
problems and the manufacturers are busy revising "most" drivers.