Vista Banter

-   -   Upgrading motherboard in Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/164793-upgrading-motherboard-vista.html)

Kevin Ellison June 17th 09 02:45 AM

Upgrading motherboard in Vista

Is there anything I need to do before upgrading my Motherboard in Windows
Vista?

I know it used to be a pain in the butt in XP. I have a fully licensed copy
of Vista (meaning not OEM).

Any information will be greatly appreciated. The upgrade will be happening
this upcoming weekend.

Thanks!

Raymond Shaw June 17th 09 03:01 AM

"Kevin Ellison" wrote:

Is there anything I need to do before upgrading my Motherboard in Windows
Vista?

I know it used to be a pain in the butt in XP.

It's worse in Vista. You may have to do a clean install, so backup
all your data before doing anything.

GTS June 17th 09 03:11 AM

Upgrading motherboard in Vista

Unless the new motherboard has the same or a very similar processor and chip
set Vista probably won't boot. In XP the solution was am 'in-place repair'
reinstallation. Vista does not have this option. You can boot your Vista
DVD and try running an upgrade install. If that fails, a clean
reinstallation will be necessary.
The inability to do a true repair reinstallation a very regrettable loss
with Vista.

Richard G. Harper June 17th 09 09:38 AM

Upgrading motherboard in Vista

Plan on reinstalling Windows completely. This has always been the smart way
to handle a significant hardware change/upgrade.

Tae Song June 17th 09 09:54 AM

Upgrading motherboard in Vista

"Kevin Ellison" wrote in message
Is there anything I need to do before upgrading my Motherboard in Windows
Vista?

I know it used to be a pain in the butt in XP. I have a fully licensed
copy of Vista (meaning not OEM).

Any information will be greatly appreciated. The upgrade will be happening
this upcoming weekend.

Thanks!

You will probably be asked to reactivate Vista after swapping motherboards,
so be sure you have the product key handy.

From my combined experience with Windows XP and Vista and swapping various
motherboards. The only problem I ever came across was swapping a
motherboard with Intel chipset with an AMD processor motherboard using
Nvidia chipset. But even then, I think I might have something costumized.