How to force a bigger screen resolution?

Old June 20th 09, 05:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JBP0cketChange

Default How to force a bigger screen resolution?

How can i force a bigger screen resolution? My current resolution is
1360x768 and i would like to make it larger heres my system specs, Hp
slimline s3700y, Widows Vista Home premium SP1, Video card: NVIDIA
geforce 6150 se, Monitor: Sony 32" LCD Bravia, usiing RGB input on my
tv. I updated all my drivers and still no luck... I know its possible
because on my other outdated computer i can get 1920x1080 with no
problems and the resolution looks good and not blurry

--
JBP0cketChange
Old June 20th 09, 06:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

JBP0cketChange wrote:

How can i force a bigger screen resolution? My current resolution is
1360x768 and i would like to make it larger heres my system specs, Hp
slimline s3700y, Widows Vista Home premium SP1, Video card: NVIDIA
geforce 6150 se, Monitor: Sony 32" LCD Bravia, usiing RGB input on my
tv. I updated all my drivers and still no luck... I know its possible
because on my other outdated computer i can get 1920x1080 with no
problems and the resolution looks good and not blurry

By Googling around I found this information on the Nvidia forums:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t25118.html

The main point I got from one of the posters about your video card is that:

"It sounds as though you have things working but I wanted to add a further
note. The widescreen monitors require DVI-D I believe. I had a similar
issue when I got my VX2025wm and 7800GTX where I would see the boot screens
then the thing would not display anything unless I went into standard VGA.

"Apparently I plugged my monitor into the DVI-I or DVI-A connector which
does not support the 1680x1050 resolution. After some arguing with
Viewsonic support and them just as frustrated with me and willing to
replace my monitor to shut me up I decided to move the connector and
everything worked."

So you might want to look into what your Sony monitor requires and how
you're connecting to it. If you don't get help on this newsgroup, then you
might try posting on the Nvidia forums.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old June 20th 09, 06:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Try the latest drivers from the Nvidia website that were released in the
last week. Also read the release notes for them to see what resolution
modes they will support as standard modes over the VGA interface they may
now support 1080p so you don't have to try and create a custom resolution.
I am quite sure they now support 1080p/60 over DVI
Apparently there is no question as to if your Bravia TV is a 1080p LCD and
not a 1366x768 LCD and will accept 1080p over VGA since it worked with your
other computer,

Old June 20th 09, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tae Song

"JBP0cketChange" wrote in message

How can i force a bigger screen resolution? My current resolution is
1360x768 and i would like to make it larger heres my system specs, Hp
slimline s3700y, Widows Vista Home premium SP1, Video card: NVIDIA
geforce 6150 se, Monitor: Sony 32" LCD Bravia, usiing RGB input on my
tv. I updated all my drivers and still no luck... I know its possible
because on my other outdated computer i can get 1920x1080 with no
problems and the resolution looks good and not blurry

--
JBP0cketChange

Download the drivers for your monitor.

You didn't mention which model you had.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel....pl?PRODTYPE=2

Old June 20th 09, 09:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

He did. Monitor: Sony 32" LCD Bravia

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old June 20th 09, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Monitors don't have drivers since they are always connected to graphic
cards(or chips in the case of IGP) which do have drivers. For many years the
OSs and monitors used .inf files to describe their base specs now the use of
EDID is a much more common method for a display to tell graphic cards what
they will accept over the interface currently in use to the graphic card.

Old June 21st 09, 02:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tae Song

"Tae Song" wrote in message

"JBP0cketChange" wrote in message

How can i force a bigger screen resolution? My current resolution is
1360x768 and i would like to make it larger heres my system specs, Hp
slimline s3700y, Widows Vista Home premium SP1, Video card: NVIDIA
geforce 6150 se, Monitor: Sony 32" LCD Bravia, usiing RGB input on my
tv. I updated all my drivers and still no luck... I know its possible
because on my other outdated computer i can get 1920x1080 with no
problems and the resolution looks good and not blurry

--
JBP0cketChange

Download the drivers for your monitor.

You didn't mention which model you had.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel....pl?PRODTYPE=2

There's about half dozen models under the Bravia brand name.

Old June 21st 09, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tae Song

"Tae Song" wrote in message

"JBP0cketChange" wrote in message

How can i force a bigger screen resolution? My current resolution is
1360x768 and i would like to make it larger heres my system specs, Hp
slimline s3700y, Widows Vista Home premium SP1, Video card: NVIDIA
geforce 6150 se, Monitor: Sony 32" LCD Bravia, usiing RGB input on my
tv. I updated all my drivers and still no luck... I know its possible
because on my other outdated computer i can get 1920x1080 with no
problems and the resolution looks good and not blurry

--
JBP0cketChange

Download the drivers for your monitor.

You didn't mention which model you had.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel....pl?PRODTYPE=2

There's about half dozen models under the Bravia brand name.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...BR6#div_pos_98

It's for Bravia KDL32XBR6, but I figure they probably support multiple
models using the same driver package.

List of Bravia 32" models:
KDL-32XBR9
KDL-32U300A
KDL-32VL140
KDL-32S5100
KDL-32XBR4
KDL-32V5500U
KDL-32W4000

There's actually lot more models using the Bravia name.

Old June 21st 09, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

The only download I found at the link you provided is for enhancements and
bug fixes for the system software within the monitor. There were no
downloads for updating any PC based software.

"Tae Song" wrote in message

[...]

List of Bravia 32" models: