HDD died?

Old June 22nd 09, 05:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CalebDK

Default HDD died?

Ok so one night I'm on my pc playing games and being bored everything
fine and whatever. Got tired so I shut my pc off and then went to bed,
ect. Got up in the morning turned my pc on and said it couldnt find a
bootable disk or w/e it says when it finds no OS. (what ever happened
also killed my Win7x64 on my other HDD)

I have 2 Seagate 500GB HDD each with a 32MB Cache

So what I did was formatted the win7 hdd and instead of x64 went x32
and got win7 back on. Now I was thinking that the HDD was completely
dead and couldnt have anything done with it until today a friend of mine
told me he had something similar happen and then his dad put some
program on his computer and it fixed everything.

Now if this is the case for me then I really would love to get this
sorted out because this HDD has all my data from work on different
things over the last 2 years and none of it is backed up.

Oh and the HDD that died has windows Vista Basicx32 on it.

So basically I need to know if there is a possiblity that my HDD isn't
dead and I can revive it and still use it. And if I can then how would I
go about doing this?

Please help me the data on this HDD is very important to me.

--
CalebDK

[image:
http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs30/f/20...y_ZeroAme.png]
Old June 22nd 09, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

There is a problem with the firmware on some Seagate drives. To check if
your is one use the serial number check found he

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207931

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Old June 22nd 09, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CalebDK

"CalebDK" wrote in message

[...]

'http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/134/9/c/DestinyV2_by_ZeroAme.png]'
(http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs30/f/20...ZeroAme.png%5D)

And I take that if the utility they provide doesnt detect the HDD then
it is dead?

Old June 22nd 09, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

The page doesn't detect anything. You enter the serial number yourself. If
the drive is one of the affected ones and its already dead you will have to
send it back for a warranty replacement. If its not already dead you may be
able to flash it with new firmware.

Old June 23rd 09, 01:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
The C. MS Privacy & Disclosure

Firmware updates are for the 1.5TB drives only!
--
Computer/Software Tech.

Make it a great day!

Charles Richmond

Old June 23rd 09, 02:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
The C. MS Privacy & Disclosure

Download this utility from Seagate to detect your drive for you:
http://support.seagate.com/firmware/drive_config.html
--
Computer/Software Tech.

Make it a great day!

Charles Richmond

Old June 23rd 09, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pacinitaly

The C. MS Privacy & Disclosure;1072658 Wrote:
Download this utility from Seagate to detect your drive for you:
'Seagate - Determine Drive Configuration'
(http://support.seagate.com/firmware/drive_config.html)

thanks for the link

I only use Maxtor/Seagate

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt
Old June 23rd 09, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

"The C. MS Privacy & Disclosure" wrote in message
Firmware updates are for the 1.5TB drives only!

All models (but not all drives) from 500GB and up were affected by the
problem. I had a couple of bricked 500GB drives and another 500GB drive that
the serial number showed up. I was able to update the firmware on it. You do
have to make sure you get the exact right firmware for your drive. If you're
not sure and the serial number shows up then send the drive back to Seagate
for a replacement.

Old June 24th 09, 02:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
The C. MS Privacy & Disclosure

Your welcome!
--
Computer/Software Tech.

Make it a great day!

Charles Richmond

Old June 24th 09, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DataCabbitKSW[_2_]

CalebDK, when it is first starting and going through POST, does it
detect the drive? Can you detect the drive and see the model from within
the BIOS? If so, then that means the boot loader or MBR got hosed on the
hard drive likely. If the machine can still see and communicate with the
drive, then you can try to do a Windows Repair. Since you were running
from Vista previously, just get your Vista install disc out and try to
repair the installation. If you can't find that disc, you can try it
from the Windows7 disc, but I don't recommend it as much, since you are
trying to repair a Vista installation. If the auto-repair doesn't work,
you can try it by hand using the Recovery Console info he
http://tinyurl.com/yw7785
You can go over all the information over at technet:
http://tinyurl.com/832nco , as well as ask on the official Windows Vista
Support Forum located here http://tinyurl.com/d5r9v3.

--
DataCabbitKSW