Avast - has anyone else experienced this?

Old June 23rd 09, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Richard Urban

Default Avast - has anyone else experienced this?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

I was talking to Western Digital today and they gave me an RMA to return a
"defective" 1 gig hard drive that sounded like a garbage truck for the past
4-5 days. I could hear the drive in the next room while watching television.
I'm glad to say I don't have to return the drive.

Today I downloaded the beta of Microsoft Security Essentials for testing
purposes. I uninstalled Avast and installed MSE. After a reboot (I always do
this after an install) the hard drive was quiet! The drive had previously
sounded like the heads were slamming into the stops. What a noise. I also
checked my processes in Task Manager and found that one Avast process had
over 22 **BILLION** read accesses within 1/2 hour after booting up.

Anyway, all now seems well. I guess it was an Avast update that started my
main hard drive going spastic.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old June 23rd 09, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Curious[_4_]

Are you sure you don't still have to return the drive? AFAIK WD cross ships
RMA drives to get the new drive to you faster but also requires a credit
card number so they can bill you for the new drive if you do not return the
RMA'd drive with a certain time frame.

Old June 23rd 09, 09:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Gene E. Bloch

I believe he meant that the drive is no longer acting sick, now that Avast
is history.

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:22:58 -0700, Curious wrote:

[...]

Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Old June 23rd 09, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
webster72n

[...]

My Avast don't present me with any of the symptoms you describe and I
definitely don't think it is the culprit.
Curious probably has the right idea.

Harry.

Old June 23rd 09, 10:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ken Blake, MVP

wrote:

Are you sure you don't still have to return the drive? AFAIK WD cross ships
RMA drives to get the new drive to you faster but also requires a credit
card number so they can bill you for the new drive if you do not return the
RMA'd drive with a certain time frame.

I was going to reply similarly, but then I realized that when he said
"I'm glad to say I don't have to return the drive," Richard was
talking about what developed in his second paragraph. He doesn't have
to return it because he no longer wants to replace it.

As he said "Anyway, all now seems well."

[...]

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old June 23rd 09, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ken Blake, MVP

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:56:10 -0400, "webster72n"
wrote:

[...]

Although I run NOD32 on my main computer, I run Avast on two other
computers here. I've also installed it for several other people. Like
you, I haven't had any problems such as the one Richard had.

Why he has experienced the "22 **BILLION** read accesses within 1/2
hour," I don't know.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old June 23rd 09, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
JEWboy

why is the drive so small 1GB?
Also I hate WesternDigital, much prefer Seagate, HITACHI (favorite), etc.,
not WD

Old June 23rd 09, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Drew[_6_]

what is really strange is I had a somewhat similar experience with all my
ram (4 Gigs) being used (10mb) left and my processor was thrashing away at
97% It is a intel quad core 6600 when I finally got task manager open took
about a hour for it to open I found a single process or should I say 72
instances of it running. However different antivirus and different process
(Logitech updater) but similar problem.. strange indeed!! I thought my
computer was going to have a meltdown!

Old June 24th 09, 12:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
James Matthews

Wow that's a lot of reads. It probably wore down the drive quite bad... This
issue would be unique to Avast I use Nod32 and find it quite nice and
subtle.

--

http://www.jewelerslounge.com/

Old June 24th 09, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_3_]

[...]

I don't see how that is possible. I would still be very suspicious of
the harddrive. Thrashing can be software related, but doesn't quite
reach "garbage truck" level - not like defective bearings would.