Printer Error

Old June 25th 09, 09:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Harsimrat

Default Printer Error

Hi Friends,

I am trying to install an application on vista 64 bit OS. Every time an
error pops up and the application printer is not installed. Below is the
error message:-

"Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000704). The specified
port is unknown."

I have tried to google the error but all in vain.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Harsimrat

--
Harsimrat
Old July 2nd 09, 06:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

is this a 64bit application? If it's a 32bit application and it creates
it's own printer port, the port monitor software would need to be 64 bit.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Old April 20th 13, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
jackson[_2_]

Harsimrat wrote on 06/25/2009 05:57 ET :
Hi Friends,

I am trying to install an application on vista 64 bit OS. Every time an
error pops up and the application printer is not installed. Below is the
error message:-

"Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000704). The specified
port is unknown."

I have tried to google the error but all in vain.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Harsimrat

Harsimrat

I received the error:
Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000704). The specified port is
unknown.

Installing my multifunction printer/scanner/fax. Specifically Brother
MFC-440CN.
My OS is Windows 7, x64. I'm installing it as a network printer on the IP
address 192.168.1.69.

I received this error during installation, twice. I allowed the installation to
continue. After re-boot, I noticed my virtual fax printer was not there.
Everything else seemed to work fine.

I went to "Devices and Printers" and clicked "Add Printer".
I allowed the default LPT1, then I selected "Windows Update" to get
the latest goodies from MS.

I found the Fax printer for Brother PC-FAX v.2.1, and added it.

After that, I chose any printer and selected Printer Properties, then the tab
"Ports".
I clicked "Add Port", I selected standard TCPIP, and following thru, I
entered my port as:
192.168.1.69.
I opened the port for my Brother PC-FAX.v.2.1 and assigned it to IP the port I
just added.

I could not find a solution anywhere for this and the only suggestions made
were
re-install the OS. For a stable system other than this, I did not want to to do
that and then re-install several thousand programs.

During my research, I found MS making reference to a good print driver,
PRINTER.DLL. That caused me to search for a driver and when I didn't find it
anywhere on my system, I went and got one stumbling across one available from
the Windows Update when I added my new printer.

I planned to place that PRINTER.DLL file into the folder recommended my MS, but
I found I didn't need to go that far. All I had to do was allow MS to offer up
the printer I needed (after allowing the full printer install package to
complete with the errors) and then assigning it to the TCPIP port found in my
printer.

If you have a similar 0x00000704 error, you may find this solution to apply to
you.

After months, my MFC-440CN works as advertized (as it had before I changed my
registry) to default my "Program Files x(86)" and "Program
Files" to default to drive "D".

I don't know that my change to the registry had anything to do with this error,
but I believe the key is finding a good driver from the Windows Update (by
adding a printer) and finding a good driver to download, followed by assigning
it the IP the printer has.

I REALLY hope this helps someone avoid re-installing their OS. This was one
hard
puppy for me to fix.

I would like to know if this helped you and if my post was worth while.
Old January 23rd 14, 08:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

суббота, 20 апреля 2013*г., 22:16:45 UTC+3 пользователь jackson написал:
[...]

Thanks man. I had the same problem, and now it is solved)

Andrew, http://letsunlockiphone5.com/ - IT stuff
Old March 5th 16, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

I know that this is an old thread, but it comes up when searching the web for the solution.

Anyway, what worked for me with Brother MFD connected to wi-fi is adding the TCP/IP port with the IP address of the device using the Printer Management PRIOR to starting the Brother driver installation wizard.

So just open Printer Management go to your Local Server Ports Add Standard TCP/IP Port enter the IP address of the device, and after that install the drivers.