Vista Banter

-   Installation and Setup of Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/installation-setup-vista/)
-   -   Memory Management blue screen error (http://www.vistabanter.com/165371-memory-management-blue-screen-error.html)

Brandonlee June 26th 09 12:45 AM

Memory Management blue screen error

For the past 4 months, I've been repeatedly getting a blue screen
telling me I have a Memory Management error after playing games on my
computer for random amounts of time and rarely when I watch videos.
Unfortunately after I get the blue screen, it restarts my computer so I
haven't been able to see if I've had a major memory usage spike, but I
have used the windows memory diagnostics to test my ram and it says no
problems were detected. I've also tried to simply format my hard drive
and reinstall vista, just in case a virus was causing it, but it didn't
fix anything.

I don't understand what caused it since I haven't downloaded or
installed any new software or hardware and the first time it happened, I
had already been playing a game for a few hours.

I have:
Acer Aspire 4720Z laptop
Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2310
2.50 GB ram
Windows vista home premium 32 bit

Any help into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

--
Brandonlee

DL[_3_] June 26th 09 07:52 AM

Memory Management blue screen error

Have you tweeked the Bios settings?
www.memtest.org have a bootable memory testing utility

Curious[_4_] June 26th 09 01:14 PM

Memory Management blue screen error

Apparently you have Automatically Restart enabled in Advanced System
properties. If yes disable it.

Brandonlee June 26th 09 05:54 PM

Memory Management blue screen error

The only thing I've done with the bios was change the boot sequence to
have my CD Rom as first preference so I could reinstall vista. I've
always been afraid to mess with the bios much since I really don't know
much about it.

Also, I did have the auto reboot box checked. It's unchecked now so
hopefully I can get back to you with the memory info next time it
hapens.

--
Brandonlee

Curious[_4_] June 26th 09 06:45 PM

Memory Management blue screen error

What is the configuration of you 2.5GB of RAM?
Vista does not like RAM that does not all operate at the same speed. So
when using DDR2 RAM you should only use a matched set of 1GB RAM to get to
2GB.
I suggest that you consider downgrading to to 2GB.

Peter Foldes June 26th 09 08:07 PM

Memory Management blue screen error

Brandonlee

Run the memtest as suggested by others. Try not looking for a quick fix . You have a
problem with the memory on your computer

--
Peter

Brandonlee June 26th 09 09:17 PM

Memory Management blue screen error

That could be the problem then. I have a (DDR2) 2GB RAM I installed
myself and a 512 MB RAM from the factory. Because I don't have the
other factory 512 RAM card anymore, would it hurt to use the 2GB card
and have the second ram slot empty until I can buy another?

Curious[_4_] June 26th 09 10:21 PM

Memory Management blue screen error

No it would not hurt and you don't want to install a second memory stick
unless it is exactly the same part number as the first one otherwise you
will not have a matched pair. And even then it may cause a problem since
they were not purchased together.

Brandonlee June 27th 09 07:54 PM

Memory Management blue screen error

I guess that's what the problem was, I removed the older RAM and I
haven't gotten any more Memory Management errors. Thanks for the help!

Amadeus87 May 31st 10 03:15 AM

Curious;4484076 Wrote:
No it would not hurt and you don't want to install a second memory
stick
unless it is exactly the same part number as the first one otherwise
you
will not have a matched pair. And even then it may cause a problem
since
they were not purchased together.

This is not true, I have the same issue and my memory sticks are both
1gb and out of the same package! different kinds of memory sticks have
nothing to do with it unless they are different speeds because the
motherboard can only take certain speeds to spec.

@ Peter Foldes: I don't think it's faulty memory either. Since I got
the blue screen with the same Memory_management error just today I
haven't been able to boot up windows since. When i do try my error is;

Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or
corrupt.
status: 0xc0000225
File: /windows/system32/drivers/Wdf01000.sys

--
Amadeus87
Amadeus87's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/226700.htm

http://forums.techarena.in