Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

Old June 29th 09, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
BillS22

Default Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

Help me think this through.
If I decide to upgrade to Win 7 and do a clean install, could I use
Easy File Transfer to retain my Outlook, Web Settings and Files?

I have two internal hard drives, not raid, and an external eSATA drive.
All 3 are the same size, 500GB. So I think I have the resources, I just
don't want to lose data, favorites, contacts, files or emails.

Having never used Easy File Transfer, how should I proceed?
Store my easy transfere to my second HD "D", format C, install Win 7?

I guess I need to buy a version of Win 7 that will read my Vista Easy
File backup...duh... Is Win 7 Pro able to read Vista Easy File
Transfers?

I have two accounts on this computer, mine and my wife's, so there
another issue too.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Bill

--
BillS22
Old June 29th 09, 01:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
SIW2

Hi,

It seems you can :

The -new version- of Windows Easy Transfer for Windows 7 comes with
improvements... For the new version of Windows Easy Transfer, people
can move their files *from *PCs running Windows XP and Windows Vista.

It looks as though you need 7 installed first - then transfer* from
*the Vista installation .

'A Look at Improvements to Windows Easy Transfer for Windows 7 -
Windows Experience Blog - The Windows Blog'
(http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...windows-7.aspx)

Hope it helps

SIW2

Old June 29th 09, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Curious[_4_]

I used Easy Transfer when I installed Win7 RC1 and it worked for all of my
files. It does not however transfer any registry settings so all
applications have to be reinstalled.

Old June 29th 09, 04:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Tom Lake[_2_]

"Curious" wrote in message
I used Easy Transfer when I installed Win7 RC1 and it worked for all of my
files. It does not however transfer any registry settings so all
applications have to be reinstalled.

I have all my key files on another drive, D:\User\Tom and I changed the
location
of their icons (Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links,
Music,
Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos) to point to the new drive's
User\Tom
(and D:\User\Paula for my wife's icons). Then I save the Registry location
for my message
rules (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Rules).
I've clean installed Windows 7 this way. After the install, I just change
the
locations of my personal icons back to the new drive, reinstall my apps
(which I'd
have to do with WET anyway), run the message rules .reg file and I'm good to
go.
This way, I don't have to mess with WET. All my settings are backed up in
real-time.

Tom Lake

Old June 29th 09, 10:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
BillS22

Thanks all.....

"It looks as though you need 7 installed first - then transfer* from
*the Vista installation"

Question - To install Win 7 first: do I do a Win 7 upgrade install, run
Win 7 EFT to my external drive, then clean install Win 7, access my
external HD and restore?
Or just do a Vista EFT on both accounts, then clean install???

Can't see it any other way. If I install Win 7 on another partition, I
can't see it transferring files from my Vista partition.....

Tom's suggestion may be more complete, a little more difficult, alot
like what I did when I did a motherboard upgrade, except is was XP to
XP. I worked, but I had the help of a computer analysis.

--
BillS22
Old March 28th 10, 10:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
PL-Don

BillS22;1077172 Wrote:
[...]

I have upgraded Vista to Windows 7 with a clean install. Use of Easy
Transfer is the ticket. On your Visat PC, use the very leates version of
Easy Transfer from Microsoft (DO NOT USE THE ONE BUILT INTO VISTA!). In
Easy Transfer you specify your Vista PC as the "old" one. Use an
external hard drive for the Easy Transfer file. I'd recommend doing a
full backup of your Vista "just in case". Now do the clean install of
Windows 7. Easy Transfer takes care of all the Windows Settings
including Office. It will also transfer some settings of non-Microsoft
products. Before you do the Easy Transfer back to your newly installed
Win 7, re-install all your programs first. This is the only way to get
back the settings for non-Microsoft sofware. Now you are ready to do the
Easy Transfer to restore all your files/folders/settings/etc. The Easy
Transfer built into Win 7 is fine to use - you don't need to use a new
download. When you run the Easy Transfer, specify the PC (now with Win 7
installed) as the "new machine". Let it crank and do it's thing. Voila,
you're done!
There have been problems, historically with Easy Transfer of your
Outlook files. The latest Easy Transfer doesn't solve this -
unfortunately. The problem seems to be a corruption of your Outlook
profile. All messages, contacts, calendars, etc. are moved with no
problem. In my case my contacts are not recognized at all when I tray to
address new messages. If I clicked the "To" button and searched for an
addressee, it showed no contacts in my Personal Folders or any other
contact folders. What I had to do was to create new Outlook accounts to
create a new Outlook profile and PST file and then copy/paste contacts
from the old PST file (as it came over in Easy Transfer). A bit of work,
but I got back to where I wanted to be. Good Luck!

--
PL-Don
PL-Don's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/179513.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old March 29th 10, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
PL-Don[_2_]

Thanks for replies. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The Easy Transfer
built into Vista was not used. I know that latest Easy Transfer works
better than it's predecessors. The newest Easy Transfer for Vista to Win
7 was downloaded from the Microsoft website. This is what was used.
Easy Transfer used on the PC in question to an external hard drive
worked with no problem. Win 7 was then installed on that PC using a
clean install. All programs were re-installed. After re-installing
programs, Easy Transfer was attempted to restore folders/files/settings
from the Easy Transfer file on the external hard drive. This is what
failed with the message that the Easy Transfer file could not be opened.
This is the first time I have heard that Easy Transfer has failed to
restore folders/files/settings from the PC with a older version of
Windows or to a new PC. Don P