'keyboard error or no keyboard present' boot up error

Old June 29th 09, 08:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
staffspeted

Default 'keyboard error or no keyboard present' boot up error

Two years ago I built my PC and all has run perfectly since until
yesterday.

I turned it on only to be greeted on boot up by the error message

'*keyboard* *error* or *no* *keyboard* *present'*

This is before it has even fired up the Operating system so I guess its
hardware based.

I have already tried removing the battery and resetting the cmos on the
motherboard but to no avail.
I now get two error messages ...the keyboard one and the default bios
settings one.

Only difference in operation is that of late my girlfriend has started
turning off the power switch at the rear of the pc after closing down
the operating system so our little boy cannot turn it on.
Would this be enough to fry or foul up the mobo??

Mobo is only two yrs old like I said so so hopefully its not
terminal!!!

Help required please!!!!!

--
staffspeted

CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 SLACR GO VERSION @ 3100
*Thermalright ULTRA-120 EXTREME COOLER*
ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS GREEN MOTHERBOARD
*8 gb CORSAIR XMS 2 CM2X2048400C5 MEMORY*
*BFG GeFORCE 8800 GTX OC2 768MB GDDR3 GPU*
HEWLETT PACKARD HP W2408H 24\" LCD FULL HD
*NZXT LEXA BLACKLINE BLUE LED ATX CASE *
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HXUK HX 620 WATT PSU
*3 X 120MM NOCTUA NF-P12 FANS*
LG GGW-H20L BLU-RAY REWRITER & HD-DVD ROM
*Samsung 7200RPM 1000GB HDD*
SAMSUNG 7200RPM 320GB HDD
*VISTA HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT SP1 *
Old June 29th 09, 10:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dominic Payer[_2_]

Your keyboard may have failed.

Is it connected by USB, and if so is the BIOS set to support USB keyboards?

After you clear the CMOS you need to go through and check that all the
BIOS settings are correct for your system.

Turning off the system power means that you are relying on the
motherboard battery to maintain the CMOS settings and all your devices
will be reset when power is restored. If you have never turned off the
system power before you may now have revealed a problem which has always
existed.

The motherboard battery might be defective.

Sometimes, failing external or internal devices generate electronic
noise on startup which confuses the BIOS. Disconnect everything
non-essential and see if the problem persists.