[Help]I can't format my HDD External

Old July 4th 09, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
spangler

Default [Help]I can't format my HDD External

Hello ... i've seen a lot with this type of question around here, but i
don't quite found the answer that i've been looking before.

Okay here's the problem... i just bought My Book Essential 1 TB
today... and when i got home i plug it and it works just fine but its
bothering me that the HDD type is FAT32 .. so i format it and try to
change it to NTFS.. but somethings happen and boom the electric in my
apartment was down...
and so when the electric back i want to format it again but i can't...
there drive is detected but with no space detail...
it says "Windows can't format Drive H: - Check to see that the disk and
drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only,
and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only
files and how to change them"

anyone knows what should i do ?

when i open the Disk Management from (My COmputer Manage)

it seems it's already a volume.. but the weird thing there is no space
detail.. and i cant erase the volume ... i've tried using diskpart but i
can't do nothing because there is no volume and i can't erase the
disk...
no luck with fsutil cause its not ntfs...

I havent tried 3rd party software and i havent tried it on other
computer (don't have other computer right now) and WDC didnt give live
cd for formatting because all of them was in the drive... though i
already redownload it but the program is useless..

please help me

Thanks before

--
spangler
Old July 4th 09, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kword88

install the software specific to that drive, and look for a password
enable/disable feature to unlock the drive.

--
kword88
Old July 4th 09, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

You will have to delete the partition that is currently on your external
hard drive. Then create a new NTFS partition.

If this doesn't work the external drive may have been damaged due to the
power failure.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old July 5th 09, 01:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
spangler

How do i delete the partition ? Because there is no partition. It's one
volume and i can't delete it not through Disk Management....

Thanks

--
spangler
Old July 5th 09, 01:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Well then, your hard drive may have been damaged.

I would try to delete the partition from a 3rd party disk manager program
such as that marketed by Acronis. I would do it via the boot CD that I
create after installing the program. That would be the best chance of
clearing out what is there and starting new. It could be that the partition
"type" flag has been set for some non-standard partition type that Windows
does not recognize. If this is the case, you will not likely be able to
repair the problem from within Windows and using the Windows utility.

Old July 5th 09, 04:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kword88

i am pretty sure the drive is just locked. i had the same problem with
my external drive, until i disabled the password protection. its a
built-in security feature,to help protect your personal data. you have
to install the software to disable it.

--
kword88
Old July 5th 09, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Yes, but the O/P has said nothing about passwords or file encryption.

Plus, this happened during formatting when a power outage occurred, all
indications that the drive has been either thoroughly corrupted or has
become defective.

Old July 7th 09, 12:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
spangler

Hello guys... thanks for all the support and i dont think there's a
built in password but anyway thanks for your suggestion... it seems i
found what went wrong... well anyway here's my conclusion from what i've
experienced..

The HDD is not defected (so far yes, its not)... but the problem lies
within the OS in this case... the vista itself... i've tried it on 4
four computer. 2 vista (home premiums and ultimate) and windows xp sp3.

Symptoms
- when i operate the HDD on vista, i can't format beyond around
300-400gb... if i format above that , it will failed. (using the disk
management in-built)
- When i copy a loads of file at once regardless the size, it will
stuck and freeze. I could still use my computer its just that i can't
delete the process, i can't use explorer when that thing happened.

So i was curious and tested it on xp... yep it work great, no error at
all. So the conclusion that i got is :
- Vista is not supported by the HDD or the other way around that vista
doesn't support this.

if this is an error from my Vista please tell me how to fix it.. Thanks
before and as a note... the file type that i am using is NTFS... gonna
try what happen if i am using FAT32 .. though its the pain in the ass
that i've got to reformat it on xp

--
spangler
Old July 7th 09, 02:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

If a CD came with your MyBook it may have a User's guide on it which could
help you. If not there may be updated Vista drivers and user's guide for
the MyBook at the WDC.com website