NVidia FX5200

Old January 23rd 07, 11:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul

Default NVidia FX5200

I am trying to get some drivers for my NVidia FX5200 graphics card for the
RTM version of Vista. I have downloaded the GeForce drivers, 97.46 X86 ,
from the NVidia site but when I try to install them it says that I have a
unsupported graphics card.

Any ideas?
Old January 23rd 07, 11:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Bad news. IIRC, Nvidia has decided not to support the 5000 series for Vista
and Aero.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old January 23rd 07, 11:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neil

The drivers that Vista installed worked fine for my 5200. I've read
elsewhere that if you upgrade you lose Aero (probably not a bad thing!)

,

Old January 23rd 07, 12:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

The 6000 series cards will be on their way out soon too.. .. fortunately,
they do support Aero.. that is until Rowntree Mackintosh reclaim their
trademark..

Old January 23rd 07, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neil

I'd wait a while and get one that supports DX10

Rowntree Mackintosh??? it's Nestle' now!

Old January 23rd 07, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Urbach

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 03:29:01 -0800, Paul
wrote:

I am trying to get some drivers for my NVidia FX5200 graphics card for the
RTM version of Vista. I have downloaded the GeForce drivers, 97.46 X86 ,
from the NVidia site but when I try to install them it says that I have a
unsupported graphics card.

Any ideas?

With RC2, the WDM drivers that downloaded from MS worked. Did you try
those?
Old January 23rd 07, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dev

/Paul/ said:

I am trying to get some drivers for my NVidia FX5200 graphics card for the
RTM version of Vista. I have downloaded the GeForce drivers, 97.46 X86 ,
from the NVidia site but when I try to install them it says that I have a
unsupported graphics card.

Using a FX5200 (128Mb) here on RC2 with the 96.85 driver. Aero works
just fine; same for the 96.33 driver.

Unless you are into heavy gaming, CAD or movie making, there may be
little reason to upgrade - especially if the motherboard supports only
AGP, which is being replaced by PCI-E.

Unless there is a video problem, no need to update a video driver each
time NVidia puts a new one up . New features may not be of use to you,
or may not be capable of implementation on your PC.

Consider waiting a year or two, then spring for a new board and video
card or even a new PC if and when the time and need are right.

But, if you simply must use the latest driver now, visit here...
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

A manual tweak can also be made to the .inf file, to allow 97.46 to
install. After Vista's official home release NVidia may have new
support options for older cards, and fully implement its new control panel.
I suggest that you wait and see...