Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Drivers updating ?

Old July 12th 09, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
t-4-2[_99_]

Default Drivers updating ?

Vista Home Premium 32 bit, SP1
I was told that it is not a good idea to update my drivers from MS Updating
Center. I have never done this since I first bought it. That's 2 years ago.
Please tell me where ? Would you give me a link to log on to ? Thank you.
t-4-2

Old July 12th 09, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Manny Weisbord

"t-4-2" wrote:

Vista Home Premium 32 bit, SP1
I was told that it is not a good idea to update my drivers from MS Updating
Center. I have never done this since I first bought it. That's 2 years ago.
Please tell me where ? Would you give me a link to log on to ? Thank you.
t-4-2

Don't fix what ain't broke, bub.

But if you MUST play around with a working system, get driver updates
from your computer manufacturer's website... and ONLY from there.
Old July 12th 09, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Malke[_2_]

t-4-2 wrote:

Vista Home Premium 32 bit, SP1
I was told that it is not a good idea to update my drivers from MS
Updating Center. I have never done this since I first bought it. That's 2
years ago. Please tell me where ? Would you give me a link to log on to ?
Thank you. t-4-2

The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Normally if everything is working you want to leave things as they are. The
exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually want to update their video
and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the
hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If you're not one of those people,
you don't need to update your drivers if there are no problems you are
trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old July 12th 09, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ken Blake, MVP

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:17:51 -0400, "t-4-2" wrote:

Vista Home Premium 32 bit, SP1
I was told that it is not a good idea to update my drivers from MS Updating
Center. I have never done this since I first bought it. That's 2 years ago.
Please tell me where ? Would you give me a link to log on to ? Thank you.

Two points:

1. Get updated drivers not just because they exist, but because you
are having a problem that the new driver is known to fix.

2. Get driver updates only from the hardware manufacturers web site. I
can't give you a link, because it depends on what hardware you have.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old July 13th 09, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
t-4-2[_99_]

The reason I posted this is that I had burned a few files into re-writable
CDs. When I played it , the machine made a loud humming noise for good 1
minute. Then, now and then, it made the same kind of noise.
The files include a lot of pictures, some in PowerPoint presentations, some
in PNG formats.
The noise does not happen with other CDs. Just those containing the
PowerPoints.
Is that the reason ? ......... the PowerPoints ?
t-4-2

Old July 13th 09, 01:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
SC Tom

"t-4-2" wrote in message
The reason I posted this is that I had burned a few files into re-writable
CDs. When I played it , the machine made a loud humming noise for good 1
minute. Then, now and then, it made the same kind of noise.
The files include a lot of pictures, some in PowerPoint presentations,
some in PNG formats.
The noise does not happen with other CDs. Just those containing the
PowerPoints.
Is that the reason ? ......... the PowerPoints ?
t-4-2

Have you tried reading the CD in another PC? Does that one have the same
problem?

SC Tom

Old July 13th 09, 02:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
SC Tom

No public library or anyone you know with one? You're beating your head
against the wall by trying to fix one problem when it may be something
entirely different that is the true problem.

SC Tom