Hard drive question

Old July 14th 09, 12:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
hansbockler

Default Hard drive question

Hello! I am in need of assistance concerning my external hard drive. My
hard drive has been working flawlessly for the past 3 years. As of
today, my computer no longer recognizes it.

This is what I have done so far:

-Unplugged it, plugged it back up, and my computer made a chime saying
that it was recognized and said that it was ready to go.
-However, the HDD does not show up on the my computer tab.
-I removed the HDD from its enclosure, purchased a USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE
and tried uploading the HDD to my wife's computer. Once again, her
computer chimed saying that it was recognized (she runs XP, i have
vista), but, once again, the hard drive was not in the my computer
folder.
-I then proceeded to Computer Management, Disk Management, and noticed
that my external hard drive is not there either.

So.... anything? I thought that maybe intially my power cord to the
outlet in the wall just went bad, but after I bought the USB to SATA/IDE
adapter and it still didn't work...well, I ran out of options.

Anything? Thank you so much!!

--
hansbockler
Old July 14th 09, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Manny Weisbord

hansbockler wrote:

[...]

It died. Requiem in pace.
Old July 14th 09, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
hansbockler

what a quick and depressing answer. what about spending big bucks to
have it "professionally done" ? does that work or is it a gamble?

--
hansbockler
Old July 14th 09, 01:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
hansbockler

also, does anyone know how to see if the BIOS can read yoru HDD? i know
nothing about computer lingo, i just read somewhere to see if the BIOS
recognizes the drive. Help?

--
hansbockler
Old July 14th 09, 09:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Try the drive on a different computer. If it is still not seen then the
device has likely failed.

Old July 14th 09, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL[_3_]

Since you tried it in a different PC with the same result, its safe to
assume its dead
Proffessional recovery of data is big $, usually on a no recovery no fee
basis

Old July 15th 09, 11:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tech-pro.net

On 14 July, 02:50, hansbockler wrote:
also, does anyone know how to see if the BIOS can read yoru HDD? i know
nothing about computer lingo, i just read somewhere to see if the BIOS
recognizes the drive. Help?

--
hansbockler

You can't read the HDD using just the BIOS. However most good data
recovery programs will bypass Windows and read the HDD using the BIOS
or even direct to the controller, in order to get maximum control to
try to recover the data. My website www.tech-pro.net has a lot of
advice about data recovery and some of the best data recovery tools.
They are all try before you buy, so you can see if they will help
before you have to pay for them.

However from the symptoms you have described and what you have already
tried it seems as if you have experienced a complete failure of the
drive. My guess is that the controller board on the drive itself has
failed. If you could get hold of another drive of the same make and
model and are careful about precautions against static you could try
taking the controller board out of the good drive and putting it into
the bad one. That would seem to be your only chance of a DIY data
recovery in this case.

A profesional data recovery service such as Ontrack could do this for
you. They could also read the data off the disk platters if the drive
hardware rather than the electronics have failed. But as you already
noted, it will be expensive. It depends what the data is worth to you
and how irreplaceable it is.

Your experience underlines the importance of regular backups. I have
several backup programs on my site too. But although we sell around 30
data recovery software licenses a day we probably don't sell one
backup program a month.

Julian Moss
Tech-Pro.net