Floppy takes a loooooong time..

Old July 14th 09, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jeff_wisnia

Default Floppy takes a loooooong time..

We just bought a couple of Inspiron computers from Dell running Vista
with floppy drives installed in them because we've got quite a
collection of small files on floppy disks which we occasionally need to
access. We bought the computers with Vista installed because they would
have cost $120 more if we wanted XP on them.

Yes, I know we should xfer those files to CDs or other storage, but
nobody seems to have the time free to do that and catalog everything.

When a floppy with 30 or 40 small files on it is is shoved into one of
those computers and we look at it's directory with Internet Explorer or
browse for a file from a program, the file directory comes up fine but
then the drive keeps running and clatters for an annoying amount of time
before we can do anything by clicking on a file name. It looks like it's
reading every one of the files on the floppy before it'll let us do
anything with one of them.

The same floppy tried in several other computers here running XP, and
even an old one with Win ME doesn't display that annoying action. When
the floppy is browsed and the directory comes up, the drive shuts off
and we can immediately select and do something with any of the files on it.

Is this another of Vista's "undocumented features?"

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Old July 14th 09, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bill Daggett

jeff_wisnia wrote:

[...]

Check your Anti-virus software to see if it's set to auto scan
floppies.
Old July 15th 09, 12:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes

I would not even bother looking for the cause of the issue. I would create a folder
on C:\ and name it Hold. Then I would send everything over to that folder from the
floppy. Then with the CD ROM or DVD I would just write them or send them to a disc.
Then use the disc to access them after. Later you can catalogue them or whatever.
You can also fit over a 100 floppies to a single DVD disc. A lot easier and faster
to access those files. Takes about 2 1\2 minutes from start to finish for a single
floppy to be transferred

--
Peter

eonecommunications...