Vista Banter

-   -   Certain files refuse to copy from C drive to USB drive (http://www.vistabanter.com/166702-certain-files-refuse-copy-c-drive-usb-drive.html)

kinohead July 15th 09 12:46 AM

Certain files refuse to copy from C drive to USB drive

Hi,

Dell T5400 Dual Quad Core 2.6 w/16 GB ram, 1 TB "C" drive, 1.5 TB "D"
drive running Vista Business 64 SP2.

Trying to copy blocks of files off of the internal drives to a USB
interface ESATA drive dock that has a 1TB WD Green drive inserted.

It appears that all files that were copied TO the internal HDDs from
the same drive dock are now unreadable by Vista (cannot read from the
source file or disk), but any ancillary files derived from (written
internally) CAN be transferred off the system without a problem.

I CAN, however, transfer these difficult files to other computers via
Ethernet over the network.

What gives? It has to be a permissions thing, but I am unable to
figure it out.

BTW: I am running THE admin account, no other logins exist.

--
kinohead

kinohead July 15th 09 02:47 PM

Certain files refuse to copy from C drive to USB drive

OK it WAS a permissions thing...

'How to Take Ownership and Full Control Permissions of Files and
Folders in Vista » Tip and Trick'
(http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/how-...ders-in-vista/)

Wade through that you can learn how to take take control of files and
folders, but it really amazes me that the administrator of the machine,
logged in as admin, has to go through this huge production just to copy
files! :mad:

Crazy...

--
kinohead