Mustek 1200 UB Vista Driver

Old July 15th 09, 07:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kingali

Default Mustek 1200 UB Vista Driver

I have an old Mustek 1200 UB scanner that I use from tie to time, but I
haven't been able to use it lately since I switched to Vista. Are there
any ways of getting the drivers to work with Vista?

I have tried these options from another forum-

OPTION 1 - I do not understand the bits in red - please HELP

Download the newest XP drivers from this german site:
http://www.mustek.de/eng_/html/treib...nmagic_usb.htm

You will need the SN ofyour scanner (it is on the scanner).

Get the one file instalation.

You will not be able to install the drivers but you can trick them to
work.

The procedure is simple:

Do not plug in the scanner, start up the

Empty your systemroot\windows\temp folder

Srart the instalation and when it asks "Select Language" stop there.
Then copy the all contents (files and folders) of Windows\Temp to
another folder (e.g. systemroot\1)

Then plug in the scanner and windows should be able to find the drivers
there if not guide it to that location and let it install Mustek Twain
drivers.

OPTION 2 -

Another way is to use regedit.

Be careful, you can destroy your system if not careful.

1. Click the Start icon, then type regedit [enter]
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion
3. Note the values for CurrentVersion and ProductName. You can right
click the CurrentVersion folder icon and click Export to make a backup.
4. Change CurrentVersion to 5.1
5. Change ProductName to Microsoft Windows XP
6. Run the web.exe installation program - ensure you run as
administrator!
7. After completion change currentversion and productname back to
original. This can be done by double clicking the .reg file you exported
in step 3.

OPTION 2 - I have understood and done everything but step 6
installation does not complete after selecting language its trying to
install but comes up withe error box stating:
Could not execute the external program
C:\PROGRA~1\TEMP\ADMIN.EXE
I have logged into computer as administrator -PLEASE HELP

--
kingali
kingali's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/114739.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old July 15th 09, 08:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris Jolly

There's an easier way to to option 2. Right click the .exe and go to the
compatibility tab.
Select "run program in compatibility mode for" and in the options select
Windows XP.

Chris

Old July 15th 09, 10:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

A suggestion - any device where you have to "trick" the drivers into working
should not be used under Vista. Get a supported device and save yourself
the headaches.

Old July 15th 09, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rojo Habe[_3_]

"Richard G. Harper" wrote in message
A suggestion - any device where you have to "trick" the drivers into
working should not be used under Vista. Get a supported device and save
yourself the headaches.

Yes but you're not really 'tricking' the drivers, just the install routine.
I believe the general advice when Vista came out was: if you can't find
Vista drivers, try the XP ones and see if they work. Many manufacturers
just didn't bother to rewrite the installers to work with Vista; they sell
more scanners that way. I wish I'd thought of this when I was trying to get
my Epson scanner to work, rather than binning a perfectly good device and
buying a new one.

Old July 15th 09, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Vista provides the ability to use XP compatibility mode to both install and
run XP drivers. It does not always work but sure helped me with an old XP
driver only scanner I had.

Old July 15th 09, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
trouble

You can also see if Vuescan will work with your old scanner.
Why you would want to is another matter.
I believe I used to have a Mustek scanner many years ago. It was an
unadulterated piece of cr*p that underperformed all of its contemporaries.
Any sub-$100 current scanner will outperform anything Mustek ever made.

Old July 16th 09, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rojo Habe[_3_]

"Curious" wrote in message
Vista provides the ability to use XP compatibility mode to both install
and run XP drivers. It does not always work but sure helped me with an
old XP driver only scanner I had.

Yeah, that didn't work for me but I really wish I'd thought of unpacking the
files and manually pointing Windows at them. Still, water under the bridge
now...