Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Will this setup Run Vista Ultimate 64?

Old July 16th 09, 11:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Justin

Default Will this setup Run Vista Ultimate 64?

Better question, will it run it well enough to actually do work?
This machine will be transported all over the world - a laptop won't
work for various reasons as the machine will have to be left on
overnight. So I'm building something that can be transported in a hard
case along with a 17 inch cheap monitor.

1 Linkworld 43706-228FU+P04 Black Steel MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case
430W Power Supply

Linkworld 43706-228FU+P04 Black Steel MicroATX Mid Tower Computer
Case 430W Power Supply - Retail
Model #:43706-228FU+P04
Item #:N82E16811164118
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
Out Of Stock
Auto notify Auto-Notify11-164-118

$33.99 $33.99
1 ASUS M3N78-EM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI Micro ATX AMD
Motherboard

ASUS M3N78-EM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI Micro ATX AMD
Motherboard - Retail
Model #:M3N78-EM
Item #:N82E16813131354
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
In Stock

$89.99 $89.99
1 AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black
edition Processor Model AD775ZWCGHBOX

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black
edition Processor Model AD775ZWCGHBOX - Retail
Model #:AD775ZWCGHBOX
Item #:N82E16819103300
Return Policy:CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
In Stock

$64.99 $64.99
1 Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
(PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC24G6400ELK

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC24G6400ELK - Retail
Model #:PDC24G6400ELK
Item #:N82E16820220227
Return Policy:Memory Standard Return Policy
In Stock

$47.99 $47.99
2 Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive
**RAID 1 of course**

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Model #:WD3200AAJS
Item #:N82E16822136098
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
In Stock

$49.99 $99.98
Subtotal: $336.94
Old July 16th 09, 11:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
SC Tom

According to here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...uirements.aspx

it looks like you've got more than enough to handle it, and be able to
upgrade to Win7 if you decide to.

SC Tom

"Justin" Justin@nobecauseihatespam wrote in message
[...]

Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Model #:WD3200AAJS
Item #:N82E16822136098

Old July 16th 09, 12:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Justin

SC Tom wrote:
According to here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...uirements.aspx

it looks like you've got more than enough to handle it, and be able to
upgrade to Win7 if you decide to.

SC Tom

Gotcha. That's what Microsoft says, but I remember back in the day they
said Windows 98 would run on a 486sx 25Mhz - it was torture but it worked.
I just wanted the opinion of a real world person.
Old July 16th 09, 12:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mike Hall - MVP

[...]

That is one nasty cheap case. If the PC is going to be moved around a lot,
get something with more meat in it..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Old July 16th 09, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
peter

Wether it be a Laptop or that thing your thinking of building in order for
any of them to be on
all nite they both will need POWER...from a wall plug in and as such a
Laptop will do it and have the added
benefit of running of battery when power is not available.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old July 16th 09, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Justin[_5_]

Mike Hall - MVP wrote:

That is one nasty cheap case. If the PC is going to be moved around a
lot, get something with more meat in it..

Good point, that's something I'll change.
Old July 16th 09, 02:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Justin[_5_]

peter wrote:
Wether it be a Laptop or that thing your thinking of building in order
for any of them to be on
all nite they both will need POWER...from a wall plug in and as such a
Laptop will do it and have the added
benefit of running of battery when power is not available.

peter

I would probably but a UPS locally designed for place I'm at; if it
comes to that.
A laptop is out of the question - for the (computing) power I need I
would end up spending $3,000 - not an option.
I'm also looking at a Mac Mini - but I don't think I'll go that route.
Old July 16th 09, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Eric[_19_]

"Justin" wrote in message
peter wrote:
Wether it be a Laptop or that thing your thinking of building in order
for any of them to be on
all nite they both will need POWER...from a wall plug in and as such a
Laptop will do it and have the added
benefit of running of battery when power is not available.

peter

I would probably but a UPS locally designed for place I'm at; if it comes
to that.
A laptop is out of the question - for the (computing) power I need I would
end up spending $3,000 - not an option.
I'm also looking at a Mac Mini - but I don't think I'll go that route.

$3000 = you're building a MAC?
I spent just $699 at Best Buy and got a core duo laptop with 4GB RAM with
Vista Home Premium installed and it runs just fine.
If you're looking to save a buck and you already have a battery backup (or
don't care about it) or you already have a copy of Windows, then a desktop
is the way to go.
If you're looking to spend at least up to $700 and you're going to move it
around a lot, then a laptop is the way to go. Laptops typically have a
couple hundred gigs of hard disc, while desktops come with 2x-4x as much, so
if you need more for the laptop you'll want another one. I saw an ad
yesterday for an external USB 1TB hard disk for $89.99.
The specs you mentioned should run any OS just fine, though I'm not sure
it's the best system for what you want to do with it.

Old July 16th 09, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Justin

Eric wrote:
"Justin" wrote in message
peter wrote:
[...]

I have a copy of Vista Ultimate thank to the Action pack.
I require RAID 1.
What I mean is I will be in one place for a few months then I have to
pack my junk and go.
Old July 17th 09, 03:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
peter

This from Wikipedia
An uninterruptible power supply (UPS), also known as a battery back-up,
provides emergency power and, depending on the topology,
line regulation as well to connected equipment by supplying power from a
separate source when utility power is not available.
It differs from an auxiliary or emergency power system or standby
generator, which does not provide instant protection from a
momentary power interruption. A UPS,
however, can be used to provide uninterrupted power to equipment, typically
for 5-15 minutes until an auxiliary power supply can be turned on, utility
power restored, or equipment safely shut down.

What you need is a Power generator to supply power in the great outdoors
where plug ins don't exist or some sort of converter to run
off your Car/Van/Camper system. Maybe if you told us the setting your going
to ??
Laptops can be bought with RAID1..it just requires a longer search or custom
build job. They can run up to 8hrs off Battery and can be
recharged by means Car/Van/Camper converter also by means of Solar Panels
that are now on the market.One Piece design easily transported
Desktops consume more power can easily be build with RAID 1 but if taken
into the great outdoors either need a very long extension cord,
a car/Van/Camper power converter or a freaking Electric Generator which
usually requires liquid fuel (diesel) to run.Also needs the Monitor.keyboard
Mouse to be transported.

Maybe you should be looking at the use of the system while you are wherever
your going and build/buy according to the minimum you need
to do whatever your doing??