Changing default partition for storage of data in vista

Old October 1st 09, 08:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ken Blake, MVP

Default Changing default partition for storage of data in vista

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 16:10:29 -0400, "Richard Urban"
wrote:

I did NOT say that I do not backup to an external drive. That was not part
of the discussion.

No, and I didn't mean to accuse you of not doing so. Sorry, if my
message came across that way.

My point is that if you back up to external media regularly, almost
all the supposed value of having your data on a separate partition
vanishes.

Again, you said "The main drive to have a separate data partition ...
is that when (not IF) you have to either redo or return to a previous
image of the operating system partition you do not lose your data."

My reply was that if you are backing up, redoing or returning "to a
previous image of the operating system partition" you can not lose
your data.

Having said all the above a couple of times, let me add the following:

1. Even though I don't see the value of a separate data partition the
way you do, I don't have any real objection to having such a
partition. It doesn't hurt.

2. But I feel very strongly against messages that suggest that doing
that protects your data. The problem with such a suggestion is that it
leads people to think that doing so obviates the need for backup.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:34:48 -0400, "Richard Urban"
wrote:

The main drive to have a separate data partition (I have done so since
1992)
is that when (not IF) you have to either redo or return to a previous
image
of the operating system partition you do not lose your data.

I strongly disagree with that statement for two reasons:

1. You say "when (not IF)," but if you do a good job of maintaining
your system, that "when" normally never occurs. For example, I've run
almost every version of Windows since 3.0, and I've *never* done this.

2. Protection against losing your data should be a strong and regular
program of backup to an external device. Relying on its being on a
separate partition is like playing with fire. You can lose the
contents of the entire hard drive for a variety of reasons, starting
with hard drive crashes.

I have files I created in 1992. These files have survived many dozens of
system redo's and returning to a previous state through the use of an
imaging program. They have also survived upgrades, both physical and
operating system, 6-8 times.

Also, if you dual boot (many do so) you can access the data from any
operating system you have on the computer "without" touching data in
another
system partition.

Yes. As I said, those who dual-boot (perhaps many do, but as
percentage of those running Windows, the number is tiny) need multiple
partitions.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Old October 1st 09, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

But, I do it on my system ALL the time and have never had a condition where
I could NOT recover within 15 minutes.

I also go to known malicious web sites to test different anti virus and anti
malware programs. When I am done, I recover within 15 minutes.

We will have to agree to disagree as whenever I see a question such as the
O/P stated I will post the benefits of multiple partitions or drives.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 16:09:35 -0400, "Richard Urban"
wrote:

You have never installed beta software that has totally hosed your
system? I
install beta software a few times a week for testing and some of the
results
are unrecoverable!

No, I never have (at least not on anything but a spare system). And
one of my standard recommendations here in the newsgroups is that
nobody do so unless they do it on a spare, non-critical system.

Old October 1st 09, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ken Blake, MVP

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 16:32:46 -0400, "Richard Urban"
wrote:

But, I do it on my system ALL the time and have never had a condition where
I could NOT recover within 15 minutes.

I also go to known malicious web sites to test different anti virus and anti
malware programs. When I am done, I recover within 15 minutes.

We will have to agree to disagree as whenever I see a question such as the
O/P stated I will post the benefits of multiple partitions or drives.

OK, that's fine. I didn't expect to convince you of anything. The
purpose of my messages in this thread was to put forward my point of
view for others reading here. Each person gets to decide for himself
who he wants to believe.