Hard Disk

Old July 20th 09, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
FLE

Default Hard Disk

I have a what alot of people are going to say is a really dumb question
But I need advice please. How do I know if one of my hard drives is
going to fail, or is this too much of a vague question? This is what it
is doing. When ever I access a web page it sound like the drive is
running and takes longer than I think it should to load up the page.

It also lags a bit when ever I access movies on my computer, eventhogh
the movies are on a seperate drive. A bit of a background on the drive I
have had it since atlest 2002 and it is the main drive on my tower that
contains the OS. I alsmot never turn the computer off.

I have ran jkdefrag on the drive several times to defrag the drive and
I have the latest patches for my OS. Its a 40gb drive and 17.3 gb is
free. Now this drive somehow survived approx 5 ft drop off of a desk
while it was on in my tower. It also survived a hard slam aginst my
glove box due to me not securing it before I went to a lan party. An I
know this is really dumb but I got mad at my tower once and kicked it
across the floor but it was not on or jacked into power.

It sounds like the drive is accessing something while I surf the net
even if I stay on the same page for a few minutes. Oh also its a 7200
rpm IDE drive. Do you need anymore info on the problem or drive? Any
help would be great since everytime I have a question, this community
seems the place that has the answers.

--
FLE

GSR-GSS-ALWAYS OUT FRONT
Old July 20th 09, 05:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PvdG42

"FLE" wrote in message

[...]

Not a dumb question at all :-)
Better to detect an imminent failure than to ignore the possibility and
suffer total data loss.

IMHO:
Step 1: Back up any/all important files on that drive ASAP!
Step 2: Go to the drive manufacturer's web site and download their
diagnostic software to check the drive. Often that software can detect
issues prior to complete failure. If you can't locate the software, share
the drive make and model here with us.
Step 3: Depending on diagnostics results, either RMA the drive for warranty
replacement or purchase a new one.

Old July 21st 09, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
FLE

Thank you so kindly PvdG42, I had no idea that the people who made the
hard drive even had software that did this. This is why I post here,
people like you are the experts that help my world go much better. I
hope that one day I can help someone here.

--
FLE

GSR-GSS-ALWAYS OUT FRONT