Trying to figure something out

Old July 20th 09, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RickyBobby

Default Trying to figure something out

I have messed about and confused my own self. I have two desktop computers
at home that I assembled myself. A few weeks ago both of them went belly
up. It was the power supply on one of them which took some other parts with
it and the mainboard on the other.

So of course I bought a bunch of new parts such as CPU, power supply, couple
of motherboards, and a video card. After using the old reliable trial and
error method of testing parts in different combinations and throwing away
bad parts I have got everything working again.

PC1- Foxconn economy mainboard with 2 Gb memory and Vista Home Premium using
onboard Intel graphics and 2.53 GHz Dual Core CPU.

PC2- Intel mainboard with nVidia Series 8 graphics card and 4 Gb memory with
older Dual Core CPU at like 1.68 GHz. Vista Home Premium also (don't ask)

So it looks like in my frenzied parts swapping I was not keeping track of
everything and put the new CPU in the more basic PC and kept the old CPU for
the PC that has the more premium parts and twice the memory.

Now when I look at the info that Vista makes available about performance and
memory usage and such I am not using anywhere near the capacity of the
computers to run Microsoft Money and watch a DVD with Power DVD or use
Microsoft Office 2003.

Short of buying more and better parts, should I tear them both apart just to
swap out the CPU's or just leave it alone because it is just a number and I
would not notice any difference anyhow?

I do not do any gaming or video editing and I am not designing an aircraft
so let it be or be a perfectionist?

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Old July 26th 09, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RickyBobby

"Richard G. Harper" wrote in message
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

Good advice you got there. Since I am only using about 5% of the CPU it
cannot matter which one is Core 2 Duo and which one is Dual Core or however
they are called.

Old July 26th 09, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
whs[_8_]

RickyBobby;1095010 Wrote:
[...]

It is my experience that RAM matters more than Mips for Vista. But a
quick fix would be to add another GB or two to the PC1. At the prices of
Dimms these days, that is a relatively cheap upgrade.

--
whs