both dvd drives have vanished from bios and my computer

Old July 21st 09, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jigger13

Default both dvd drives have vanished from bios and my computer

Hi there all
Ive scoured the internet to find the solution to my
problem and ive ran out of solutions to my problem so i though id try
the proffesional and worldly wise people here at vista forums so here
goes...
i recently updated my vista to service pack 2 x64 which installed
perfectly fine with no hangs or any visible errors. after the machine
restarted one of my dvd drives was missing but it recognised the other
which worked fine in burning and playing my CD/DVDs.
so i restrted my pc once more just to see if that may re-jog the system
and it did both of my dvd drives were both visible so i though great no
problems there. went to bed shutdown my computer. the next day i started
it up as normal but noticed on the screen where its says " press del to
run bios " or something like screen appeared it stayed on for a lot
longer than normal i normally blink and its gone but it stayed on the
screen for approx 2mins then proceeded to start up as normal.
checked my computer and this time they had both vanished. ran all my
virus checkers even checked the screen where you can update the drivers
but nothing gone.
i then restarted my computer again this time pressing del to check the
bios.for my drives it found one so exited carried on loading up checked
again and sure enough there was one found and again checked it to see if
it worked and yes it burnt/played cd's and dvd's. i then uninstalled the
service pack to see if the would change the situation but it didnt.. it
now either recognises both none or one of the drives whenever it feels
like it, even sometimes whilst both are showing after being on the
computer a while one will disapear. ive tried looking for the upper or
lower filters that apprantley can cause a problem but they dont even
appear and reading on another forum they say if you cant see them then
that isnt the casue of the problem. i havent installed any new software
at all it seems to be when i installed service pack two that this all
started. possibly a coincidence but it doesnt seem that way. both dvd
burners are brand new pratically only about 2months old and as i say
when they show they work perfectly.

sorry for the long spiel but i though more info is better than less.
any help would be very very very much appreciated thank you very much
in advance

vista home premium 64bit
intel core 2 quad cpu q9550 ASUS
2.83GH
8.00 GB RAM

--
jigger13
Old July 21st 09, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jigger13

Additional:
i also tried the micrsoft fix as stateded on there website but that
didnt help but it did mess up my itunes

--
jigger13

Old July 21st 09, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bill Daggett

jigger13 wrote:

Additional:
i also tried the micrsoft fix as stateded on there website but that
didnt help but it did mess up my itunes

That might be part of your problem, but it won't answer the question
as to why your BIOS only sees one of the drives.

I would suspect that you have a hardware problem to fix before
worrying about Windows.

Swap the connections on the two drives (and change the jumpers if
they're IDE) and see what happens.