Disk Management Not Working?

Old July 22nd 09, 02:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TJ90

Default Disk Management Not Working?

I'm not entirely sure this hsould go here because I'm not exactly sure
what the issue is.
Basically, when I go into Disk Management, my interal hard drive,
external USB harddrive (Western Digital) and Disk Drive are all
unreadable. I am certain it was fine when I first installed Vista as I
formatted and partitioned both the internal and external HD.

I have tried rescanning and resetting my computer, both to no avail. It
is interesting to note that Memory Diagnostic Tool doesn't seem to want
to work either...Microsoft only suggested rescanning and resetting, so
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

--
TJ90
Old July 22nd 09, 02:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Badger[_3_]

TJ,

In order to install Vista, you need to insert the Vista CD and reboot.
You may need to go into the BIOS and set the DVD drive to boot before the
hard drive does.

Click Install and let the CD do the work for you.
You can create partitions after you click Install, and be sure to format
NTFS to make Vista work.

It would be best if you disconnect the external hard drive first.
You can format the external hard drive after you install Vista.

Badger

Old July 22nd 09, 03:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TJ90

I apologise, I mustn't have made my issue as clear as I thought I did.
I have Vista installed, no worries there. The problem is that Disk
Management is saying that my hard drives are unreadable...(hence the
thread title)

--
TJ90
Old July 22nd 09, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, TJ90.

"Unreadable"? I don't think I've ever seen that word in Disk Management -
and I use DM just about every day.

Can you give us the exact wording of the message?

And please tell us exactly which Vista version you are running. A bit of
hardware description also wouldn't hurt. Remember that we can see your
computer - OR the steps that you are taking to get to that error message.

Exactly what did you mean by "rescanning and resetting my computer"? By
"rescan", do you mean a malware scanner? Which one do you use?

But something here "does not compute", as they used to say in the old TV
show. If your internal HDD is truly "unreadable", then how are you managing
to load Vista and run Disk Management - and post to the Internet?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old July 23rd 09, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TJ90

I think a screen shot is easier than me trying to explain.
I haven't done anything I just go Control Panel - Administrative Tools
- Computer Management - Disk Management

The version of vista I am running is right under my name dude...
If you are asking for a hardware description, tell me what hardware,
there is a lot of hardware on a computer. Saying that, I'm fairly sure
you meant hard drive specs?
Internal: ST9160821AS ATA (That's what it says in properties, best I
can do)
150GB

External: Western Digital "My Passport Essential" USB drive
250GB

In Disk Management if you go to Action, you will find an option to
rescan disks, I thought someone using DM almost daily would know that.
The rescanning and resetting I refered to was just the instructions
Microsoft help gave me, they didn't help. Anyway, that was kind of a big
post...I hope it helps someone in debugging this problem for me.

|Filename: Untitled.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14405|

TJ90
Old July 23rd 09, 01:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bill Daggett

TJ90 wrote:

I think a screen shot is easier than me trying to explain.
I haven't done anything I just go Control Panel - Administrative Tools
- Computer Management - Disk Management

You call THAT "unreadable"????

Your mind is unreadable.

Old July 23rd 09, 01:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, TJ90.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. :^{

You are under the impression that I'm a member of your Vista64 forum. You
don't realize that the forum simply relayed your bare-naked post, with NO
"member profile" information, to world-wide Usenet, and specifically to the
Microsoft public news server and to the
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices newsgroup on that server -
and that's where I'm reading and replying. So I do not see what is "right
under your name, Dude". But I'm trying to help you, anyhow. And I STILL
don't know what version of Vista you are running. The screen shot does tell
me about your hard drives and your SECOND post adds more details (which
should have been in your FIRST post). Also, you did not quote the prior
thread in your latest post; doesn't Vista64 offer the ability to do that?

Your screen shot shows Disk Management, but you obviously took the long,
newbie way to get there, and that puts so much extraneous information around
the important stuff that it makes me feel like I'm doing disk surgery
laparoscopically - through a keyhole. Try just clicking Start, typing
diskmgmt.msc and pressing Enter.

Of course I know about "Rescan disks", but you said you "tried rescanning
and resetting my computer" - and that is NOT the same thing! I wondered if
you meant you scanned your computer for viruses and other malware. Have
you? Recently? And to Reset a computer means to press what we used to call
the BOB (Big Orange Button) - a "warm restart" - just short of a power
off/on. You might need also to scan your disks with the disk manufacturer's
diagnostic tools, such as Seagate's SeaTools.

Your screenshot shows an icon that I haven't seen before. It's the little
"x-in-a-red-circle" just before "Disk 0" and "Disk 1". That MIGHT mean the
disk is "unreadable", but, as you said, it seems to conflict with the
"Healthy" Status for all the volumes (partitions) on the two disks. I've
not been able to find the meaning of the icons shown in Disk Management.
(Help files often fail to explain these, or hide the explanations. :( )
The closest I've come is the page on "Troubleshooting Disk Management",
including the paragraph, "A basic or dynamic disk's status is Unreadable."

I'm an accountant - and retired, not a techie. I've learned from 30 years
experience with PCs - and a lot of reading. But I haven't hit this problem
before. So I hope one of the real gurus can explain to both of us what this
little icon means and how to fix it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old July 23rd 09, 02:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TJ90

Yeah, OK, I agree, communication is a problem...the internet sucks for
stuff like that.

I'm running Vista Premium 32bit SP1.

Running DM "the pro way" doesn't help in the slightest and doesn't
really change it particularly much.

Yes, I have rescanned the disks and virus scanned my computer, I'm not
sure the diagnostic tools will have more luck, but I will try and post
and update if they succeed, otherwise I hope someone can help me sort
out this problem, it's quite frustrating.

)
The closest I've come is the page on "Troubleshooting Disk Management",
including the paragraph, "A basic or dynamic disk's status is
Unreadable."

I'm an accountant - and retired, not a techie. I've learned from 30
years
experience with PCs - and a lot of reading. But I haven't hit this
problem
before. So I hope one of the real gurus can explain to both of us what
this
little icon means and how to fix it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@xxxxxx
Microsoft Windows MVP

"TJ90" wrote in message

I think a screen shot is easier than me trying to explain.
I haven't done anything I just go Control Panel - Administrative

Tools
- Computer Management - Disk Management

The version of vista I am running is right under my name dude...
If you are asking for a hardware description, tell me what hardware,
there is a lot of hardware on a computer. Saying that, I'm fairly

sure
you meant hard drive specs?
Internal: ST9160821AS ATA (That's what it says in properties, best I
can do)
150GB

External: Western Digital "My Passport Essential" USB drive
250GB

In Disk Management if you go to Action, you will find an option to
rescan disks, I thought someone using DM almost daily would know

that.
The rescanning and resetting I refered to was just the instructions
Microsoft help gave me, they didn't help. Anyway, that was kind of a

big
post...I hope it helps someone in debugging this problem for me.

|Filename: Untitled.jpg |
|Download:

'http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14405|'
(http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...entid=14405%7C)