An HDD is too busy. What would help?

Old July 24th 09, 08:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
Dima

Default An HDD is too busy. What would help?

Hello!
My HDD activity indicator lights up for 20 minutes and even mouse cursor
freezes some times. This is because of uTorrent 1.8.3 and video conversion
activity I guess. Will increasing of RAM from 2gb to 6gb help? Can I combine
2x1gb 800mhz installed modules with new 2x2gb 1066mhz modules?
Page file is on G: HDD already, not C:. Windows Vista is x64.
What would help?
How to know what makes an HDD so busy exactly?
Regards,
Dima
Old July 24th 09, 09:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
Ǝиçεl

Check the exact type of your installed RAM with a tool like AIDA or Everest
(find them via Google).

Check the part number of the installed module.

And/or contact the manufacturer of your PC and ask for the *recommended* RAM
for additional installation.
-=-

Install no more of 4G
-=-

Old July 24th 09, 09:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
Dima

Thanks for replying!
2gb modules are 1% in all the *recommended* RAMs list, and they are 667.
There are many 1gb 1066 modules in the *recommended* RAMs list.
Why should not I install no more than 4G? My Windows Vista x64 should
support even 8gb. My mailboard Asus P5K supports 8gb.
Regards,
Dima

Old July 24th 09, 10:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
Ǝиçεl

Hi Dima,

My Windows Vista x64 should
support even 8gb.

I dn't argue that.

But, what about the software?

Unless you have a specific software requiring more than 4 G.

Maybe others can suggest ways to help with that.

Good luck
-=-

Old July 24th 09, 11:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
Dima

I convert, playback, seed and download in uTorrent 10gb HD videos. Would more
than 4gb reduce HDD business then?

Old July 24th 09, 11:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
Dominic Payer[_2_]

Converting videos will put a heavy load on CPU & HDD. More and faster
memory may help by providing a bigger buffer for disk and CPU, and
faster transfer to CPU, but you need to look carefully at which of CPU,
disk input/output and memory is really the limiting factor.

Often with video processing it is the disk transfers which are the
limiting factor and you may need a RAID array to speed up the conversions.

Your system freezes will be because the CPU is fully occupied. More
cores, and another CPU, may help but disk transfers and/or memory speed
will then probably become limiting.

Lowering the priority of the video conversion processes might free your
system for other work by making the video conversion a background task.
Only you can say how important quick video conversion is.

Old July 24th 09, 12:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
Dima

Thanks Dominic for your answer!
The priority of the video conversion processes is already "Idle".
The mouse cursor freezes only when the HDD activity indicator lights up
completely and for minutes.
The HDD activity indicator lights up for 10 minutes every hour of uTorrent
seeding. The upload speed is just 30kBytes/s.
Regards,
Dima

Old July 24th 09, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
Ken Blake, MVP

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 01:06:02 -0700, Dima
wrote:

Hello!
My HDD activity indicator lights up for 20 minutes and even mouse cursor
freezes some times. This is because of uTorrent 1.8.3 and video conversion
activity I guess. Will increasing of RAM from 2gb to 6gb help?

I can't be sure, but probably not. How much RAM you can make effective
use of depends on what apps you are running, and not on disk usage.

Can I combine
2x1gb 800mhz installed modules with new 2x2gb 1066mhz modules?
Page file is on G: HDD already, not C:. Windows Vista is x64.
What would help?
How to know what makes an HDD so busy exactly?
Regards,
Dima

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old July 24th 09, 09:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
Dima

Thanks Ken for your reply!
I seed 10gb files in uTorrent 1.8.3, but the upload speed is low, just 30
kB/s.
I also convert and playback 10gb HD video files in Nero Recode 9, Divx
converter, Media Player Classic Homecinema x64, VLC Player.
I open many IE8 windows and tabs.
Regards,
Dima