Problems restarting and shutting down

Old July 29th 09, 12:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
areaves80

Default Problems restarting and shutting down

Hello,

I had some problems with my computer a couple weeks ago it's an Acer
Aspire E380, my husband was getting ready to reformat it and put
everything on our external hard drive restarted it but the computer
wouldn't boot up. We took it to Geek Squad and they reformatted it and
(120 dollars later) said there was no problem with the computer. Now the
dumb thing wont restart or shut down. You have to hold the power button
in order to get it to turn off. I tried calling acer but they told me
the warrenty was up and it was gonna cost us an arm and leg to talk to
someone. Can anyone help me with what to do? I'm in school and have to
have a computer. Last time this happend it wouldn't restart at all.
Caused from Trojan viruses that damaged the boot sector we think.

--
areaves80
Old July 29th 09, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke Routh

areaves80 wrote:

Hello,

I had some problems with my computer a couple weeks ago it's an Acer
Aspire E380, my husband was getting ready to reformat it and put
everything on our external hard drive restarted it but the computer
wouldn't boot up. We took it to Geek Squad and they reformatted it and
(120 dollars later) said there was no problem with the computer. Now the
dumb thing wont restart or shut down. You have to hold the power button
in order to get it to turn off. I tried calling acer but they told me
the warrenty was up and it was gonna cost us an arm and leg to talk to
someone. Can anyone help me with what to do? I'm in school and have to
have a computer. Last time this happend it wouldn't restart at all.
Caused from Trojan viruses that damaged the boot sector we think.

I don't think this is a hardware issue. Shutdown issues are generally
caused by a program and/or process that is refusing to exit gracefully. The
program and/or process can be from malware or can be legitimate (such as an
invasive antivirus like Norton or McAfee). If you are using a Norton or
McAfee product, uninstall it and replace with a better program such as
NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast (free). The Windows Firewall is adequate for most
people.

A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.

B. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no Norton
or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot troubleshooting to see
which program/process is the culprit:

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Malke
--