Files Transfered From W98 To Vista

Old August 1st 09, 11:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brbrown

Default Files Transfered From W98 To Vista

I have just transfered all my Works created wps Documents files from my W98
computer to my Vista computer using Works but they will not open. I get a
message saying "Works was unable to open the project you have selected. The
file may be corrupted. Anyone any idea why Please?"
Old August 1st 09, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

brbrown wrote:

I have just transfered all my Works created wps Documents files from my
W98 computer to my Vista computer using Works but they will not open. I
get a message saying "Works was unable to open the project you have
selected. The file may be corrupted. Anyone any idea why Please?"

If you don't get an answer here (and I'm sorry but I don't know it - will
give you a few WAG suggestions below), you might want to post in the Works
newsgroup. The Works experts there may immediately know the answer.

microsoft.public.works.win

My WAGs:

1. Make sure you copied the files to a folder in your User account and not to
the root of C:\ or some such place that Vista considers protected.

2. Right-click on the files you saved and make sure they aren't read-only.

3. I'd think you would have gotten a "no access" error instead, but check to
make sure the ownership is correct (you). If it isn't, take ownership of the
files as follows:

a. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
b. Click the Security tab.
c. Under Group or user names, click your name to see the permissions you
have.

To open a file, you need to have read permission. For more information on
permissions, see What are permissions?

http://tinyurl.com/2j9vgr

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old August 1st 09, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brbrown

hello Malke

Thanks for that. I'll try again with the information you have given. I'll
let you know how I get on.

Brian

Old August 1st 09, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brbrown

Hi GTS. Yes I have Works 9 on the Vista but works 4.5 on W98. Might that be
the problem?

Old August 1st 09, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
GTS

Yes. That is the problem. You can download a converter from MS to fix it.
See the two articles below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940003/en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-48305325110b

Old August 2nd 09, 07:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brbrown

Hello GTS. That looks exactly what I need. I'll give that a try. Many thanks.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks also Malke for the suggestions.

Old August 2nd 09, 08:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brbrown

Afraid that didn't work either. I got the same error message. I was puzzled
though, I presumed that it would work automatically when I tried to open the
file. Then I thought I might need to open the converter first but I couldn't
find it in the programmes list nor doing a search for it so I tried
installing it again and still couldn't find it. I installed it on the Vista
computer. Any ideas? Brian

Old August 2nd 09, 12:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

brbrown wrote:

Afraid that didn't work either. I got the same error message. I was
puzzled though, I presumed that it would work automatically when I tried
to open the file. Then I thought I might need to open the converter first
but I couldn't find it in the programmes list nor doing a search for it so
I tried installing it again and still couldn't find it. I installed it on
the Vista computer. Any ideas? Brian

No, the converter just becomes part of the program. I have two more
suggestions for you:

1. If the old computer with the files still exists, open the files in Works
and save as RTF files.

2.Or post in the Works newsgroup and ask the experts there. There may be a
reason that non-Works experts don't know.

Malke

Old August 2nd 09, 10:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
DL[_3_]

microsoft.public.works.win
would be the place to post to for expert advice