Vista 64 Bit - Cannot Boot With 3 Hard Disks

Old August 4th 09, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SomeoneX

Default Vista 64 Bit - Cannot Boot With 3 Hard Disks

Hello,

I have just installed Vista Ultimate 64 Bit (on my 500 GB Seagate hard
disk, the main hard disk).

Then, I added 2 more hard disks (a 1 TB Hitachi and another 500 GB
Seagate), so now I have 3 SATA hard disks installed.

However, Vista cannot start. Sometimes, it stuck on the boot screen
(the one with the scrolling green bar), sometimes it just show black
blank screen.

I then tried to disconnect, completely, the 2 hard disks I just
installed. Vista can boot properly, I can access my data from both hard
disks without problem.

When only the 1 TB Hitachi and the main hard disk are connected, Vista
can boot properly and I can access my data from both hard disks without
problem.

When only the other 500 GB Seagate and the main hard disk are
connected, Vista can boot properly, I can access my data from both hard
disks without problem.

However, if I connect the 3 hard disks at the same time, vista doesn't
want to boot. I already installed the SATA controller driver from the CD
that comes with the motherboard.

Also, Safe Mode doesn't help.

My system spec:
- Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
- Processor: Intel Core2Duo Dual Core 2.4 Ghz
- RAM: 4 GB (4x1 GB) DDR2
- Graphic Card: Nvidia 8800GTS, from ASUS
- 2 DVD Writers (LG and Sony), both IDE
- 1 Floppy Disk Drive

Please help me. I really need to connect them all because they all
contain data.

Thanks.

--
SomeoneX
Old August 4th 09, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David Vair

Might be a power issue as 2 drives will boot fine but all 3 don't.
--
David Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

Old August 4th 09, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

SomeoneX,
Disk drives take a lot of power just to spin up at boot time and if your
boot disk does not spin up in time the system will not boot.
One way to get around this problem is to have an optical drive selected in
your BIOS as the primary boot device and for it to always have a disk in it.
Then when you boot and are asked to hit any key to continue to boot from the
optical drive just let the prompt time out since that will provide the time
for all of the HDDs to spin up.

Old August 4th 09, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
trouble

You definitely need a bigger power supply.
If you bought your machine from a name brand maker, for example Dell or HP,
you have to make sure that the motherboard can accept generic power supplies
without frying itself. I have yet to see a machine from a big box store that
had an adequate power supply in terms of wattage or quality.
Rather than replace the power supply consider putting one of your hard
drives in an external enclosure. That way it will have its own power supply
and you will not have to replace anything inside your computer.

Old August 4th 09, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
zigzag3143

SomeoneX;1105530 Wrote:
[...]

Are all three drives internal, or are 2 usb? did you update your bios,
and the relevant drivers?

Ken

--
zigzag3143
Old August 4th 09, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

I'd go along with the others and say a PSU issue. i have four SATA hard
drives in my PC, along with a BluRay optical drive and a couple of USB SATA
drives, used for weekly backup, and it never fails to boot. On top of that
I have a Canon scanner that is entirely powered from the USB port, two
printers, wireless mouse/keyboard, Hauppauge HDPVR, etc etc. Oh and a smart
card reader. 850w PSU, 8gb RAM, Q9550. On my test PC I have six hard
drives, again all SATA and a couple of optical drives. That one has 12gb
and an i7 920 CPU, Corsair 850w PSU. Again, never fails to boot.

What is the wattage and make of your PSU. You want a decent manufacturer
and a decent wattage. Skimping on either will only lead to tears before
bedtime.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old August 5th 09, 12:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Natéag[_2_]

I wish to add that I just bought a Corsair PSU (650 Watts)- just to check
if the problem
was with the power supply, the motherboard, and something else.
The flat cables to connect to the HDs, Cds
made it very easy to achieve a clean installation. Five HDs,
2 cd/DVDs. One graphics card.

I kept the PSU and changed the motherboard. Returned to the manufacturer
as it had been bought only a few months earlier.

Old August 5th 09, 03:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vanilla

oh, my ... the fever to build a new rig has begun because of Win 7 coming
out soon and as I read your tricked out setups, I felt pangs of jealousy ..
(g) .. you gotta be havin' fun ... vanilla

Old August 25th 09, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

How big is your power supply?
It is possible that your system is having trouble getting all of the drives
up to speed before it tries to boot from your boot drive.
On possible solution is to set your BIOS to boot from one of your optical
drives first and keep a disk in it so that you will be asked at boot time to
hit any key to boot from that drive and then let the prompt time out. This
will give time for your HDD boot disk to get fully up to speed. You may be
able to just set the BIOS to boot from floppy.

"Cling" wrote in message
Maybe there is not enough power support.
"SomeoneX" дÈëÏûÏ¢