FAX in Vista Home Premium

Old February 6th 07, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
bjr

Default FAX in Vista Home Premium

It's detailed in the Windows Vista Product guide, which tells you
everything you ever wanted to know about Vista - a large but free
download from Microsoft.
Here is the comparison we reference from CNET:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-6687907-1.html
Note the 3rd entry in the table from the bottom.

Susan wrote:
guys, please stop. I came to ask a question, perhaps find a solution from
another party and I get only attitude.

Is this a community area for regular windows users to ask questions and
hopefully get some decent advise or is this only for professional types who
follow software development? I haven't been following the development of
Vista for a year, nor do I feel that I have to. Microsoft has a long standing
goal of selling operating systems that everyone can use, and I believe I am
in the group of everyone. I am not whining.

Can you tell me where on the Vista box it says no fax? I also don't see it
on the side by side comparison that is designed to help people make a choice.
I'm not seeing it. Also, I upgraded from XP home and the problem is with
Vista not working with the fax software that worked with XP. I have a Dell
XPS--only five months old, but I'm sure a patch is forthcoming.

"bjr" wrote:

You should have read the list of features in each version before you
buy. That info has been available for about a year. The fax has NEVER
been part of Premium, only Ultimate and Business.
If fax software came with your modem, try installing that. Otherwise,
stop whining and go buy some fax software. There are many to choose from.

Susan wrote:
Russ, sorry I'm not as astute as you are. Your reply however, is not
helpful. A slap on the wrist might make some feel superior, but without any
concrete suggestions to add to the string, is nothing more than a slap on the
wrist, best to keep the chastising to yourself - it makes you sound smug.

The bottom line is that the program is lacking a fundamental communications
tool and without user input the developers will not know what areas need to
be addressed and included in future service packs.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Normally when making a purchase one looks at the features needed and
purchases the appropriate version to meet one's needs. This information is
all well documented.
You can still view your old faxes quite readily. TIF files open in Windows
Photo Gallery.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Susan" wrote in message
You have got to be kidding. I have vista home premium but I still need to
send and receive faxes!!!! I had this capability with XP, and I am very
upset
that it is not available with Vista which I just installed yesterday Feb
3.
Does Microsoft believe that home users never receive or send faxes? What
are
my options? How am I to view the faxes I have saved in my documents? I
urgently need to have this capability on my computer and I am sure I am
not
alone in this need.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

It's doubtful, Microsoft, as far as i know, haven't supplied the fax
software as a separate item for other versions of Windows operating
systems.

You may have to look at third party fax applications for this one.
Alternatively you would have to look to buying Vista Business or Ultimate
instead of Premium.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
the
mail/post..

"BoB Brazie" wrote in message
Thanks John. Do you suppose it might be available as a separate
download
sometime for the other versions of Vista?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote in message
Fax facility is only available in Vista Business, Enterprise and
Ultimate.

Word 2007 provides plenty of fax cover templates but still relies, as
far
as i know, on the fax software of Vista Business, Enterprise and
Ultimate. It doesn't contain a fax application on its own.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be
liable
for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising
out
of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed
in
this mail/post..

"BoB Brazie" wrote in message
Will some form of FAXing and scanning be available in the Home
Premium
edition or only in the business edition.

I have need for both of these features but do not want the business
edition.

Maybe they are available in the Office 2007 standard suite?

Thanks in advance. Bob.

Old February 7th 07, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan

I'm gonna have to side with Susan on this one. Lots of people here are
quick to point out that fax isn't included with the Home Premium edition by
pointing out the link, or say "you should have read the features before you
bought it" but likely these are the same people that didn't even know fax
was included in Windows XP and Windows 2000.

Even Bill Gates said most people are going to buy Home Premium...not
Business and not Ultimate. Its the average person that uses the built in
fax in Windows to send the occasional fax. By removing this, they are
****ing off a lot of Home Premium customers expecting that Windows Vista
Home Premium is going to do everything Windows XP did, only better.

Old February 7th 07, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I understand your point and am sympathetic. It seems to me, however, that
the decision to upgrade one's entire OS needs to be made more carefully and
thoughtfully than it often is. The feature set comparison among Vista
versions is not hard to find. The fact that fax is absent in Vista Home
versions is well documented on Microsoft's own site as well:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...footnotes.mspx
In reality modem faxing is a feature that is used so little by most users
that it was nearly eliminated entirely from both Windows XP and Vista. To my
surprise, the Vista Fax module is the most useful and robust of any of the
Microsoft Fax offerings so far. How reliable it is remains to be seen now
that it has been released in the wild.
For users like Susan who unwittingly leapt to Vista Home expecting it still
to have fax capabilities, they can still purchase a standalone fax machine
for less than the cost differential between Vista Home and Ultimate.
Caveat emptor.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old February 8th 07, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jeffrey S. Sparks

For the cost of jumping to Ultimate from home, you can buy one of those HP
All-in-one inkjets that scan/fax/print/copy. (once they have the drivers
updated that is LOL)

Jeff

Old February 13th 07, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

I am a printer guy so I don't fax. When I have to, I am worthless around
one. None the less there are plenty of people who are good at this
function. I contacted one of the Fax guys who was around when the decision
for where fax lives was finalized. The developers and project managers of
Fax want fax on every version of Windows that is shipped. Marketing group
had a difference of opinion and won the contest. There was lots of
discussion but in the end devs lost this battle.

"
This was always a controversial topic and tons of discussion took place
around this subject. It was always seen as a very valuable asset to sell to
small businesses and this influenced the SKU decision making. At some point
there was going to be a small biz SKU and that is where fax had the most
value.
"

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Old February 13th 07, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

That's the version I heard as well. The Fax Developers put a ton of work
into this module and it shows. I hate it when marketing wins, but they
almost always do.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote in message
[...]

rights.

Old February 15th 07, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Susan

I'd like you to look at this page and comment. scroll down to where it says
"what programs have changed" specifically in reference to windows fax
console and fax and scan:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...073611033.mspx
and please note the words at the top of the page which state "Applies to all
editions of Windows Vista."
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

You wanted to know how to view your old faxes. I told you. That was your
only question. The rest was just a rant. I've always been puzzled by users'
expectation that Windows should provide reliable, robust fax software as
part of the OS. Microsoft has done little to create that expectation since
the software it has provided is neither reliable nor robust. Most users who
need to fax purchase a third party product, which you are certainly free to
do. I can assure you the fax feature will not be added back into the basic
versions of Vista in some sort of Service Pack, if that's what you're
asking. Features for each version were set long ago.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old February 15th 07, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
bjr

Let it go , Susan. Next time, ask about the feature you want in a
particular vesrion in a newsgroup BEFORE you buy. Lots of beta testers
lurk here and can answer you questions.

Old February 15th 07, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not sure why you want me to comment. I have nothing to do with Microsoft. If
you feel you were deliberately deceived by Microsoft's marketing, then your
issue is with them, not me. You may well have a legitimate complaint based
on what you saw and what you read. All I know is that when I did my research
on version specific features, it was pretty clear to me which versions
included fax:

Old March 13th 07, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

includedfax:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...footnotes.mspx

--

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...29171-8e24-1e6...

"BoB Brazie" wrote in message
Will some form of FAXing and scanning be available in theHome
Premium
edition or only in the business edition.

I have need for both of these features but do not want the
business
edition.

Maybe they are available in the Office 2007 standard suite?

Thanks in advance. Bob.

I see.... Well lots of friends 're waiting for information on this
annoying fax mater... So, according to all above comments, we should
not upgrade to vista home premium. We'd better stay with our xp OS. XP
supports fax....