FAX in Vista Home Premium

Old January 25th 07, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
BoB Brazie

Default FAX in Vista Home Premium

Will some form of FAXing and scanning be available in the Home Premium
edition or only in the business edition.

I have need for both of these features but do not want the business edition.

Maybe they are available in the Office 2007 standard suite?

Thanks in advance. Bob.

Old January 25th 07, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
John Barnett MVP

Fax facility is only available in Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate.

Word 2007 provides plenty of fax cover templates but still relies, as far as
i know, on the fax software of Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate. It
doesn't contain a fax application on its own.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Old January 26th 07, 12:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
BoB Brazie

Thanks John. Do you suppose it might be available as a separate download
sometime for the other versions of Vista?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote in message
Fax facility is only available in Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate.

Word 2007 provides plenty of fax cover templates but still relies, as far
as i know, on the fax software of Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate.
It doesn't contain a fax application on its own.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
this mail/post..

Old January 26th 07, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
John Barnett MVP

It's doubtful, Microsoft, as far as i know, haven't supplied the fax
software as a separate item for other versions of Windows operating systems.

You may have to look at third party fax applications for this one.
Alternatively you would have to look to buying Vista Business or Ultimate
instead of Premium.

Old February 4th 07, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Susan

You have got to be kidding. I have vista home premium but I still need to
send and receive faxes!!!! I had this capability with XP, and I am very upset
that it is not available with Vista which I just installed yesterday Feb 3.
Does Microsoft believe that home users never receive or send faxes? What are
my options? How am I to view the faxes I have saved in my documents? I
urgently need to have this capability on my computer and I am sure I am not
alone in this need.

Old February 4th 07, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Normally when making a purchase one looks at the features needed and
purchases the appropriate version to meet one's needs. This information is
all well documented.
You can still view your old faxes quite readily. TIF files open in Windows
Photo Gallery.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"BoB Brazie" wrote in message
Thanks John. Do you suppose it might be available as a separate
download
sometime for the other versions of Vista?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote in message
Fax facility is only available in Vista Business, Enterprise and
Ultimate.

Word 2007 provides plenty of fax cover templates but still relies, as
far
as i know, on the fax software of Vista Business, Enterprise and
Ultimate. It doesn't contain a fax application on its own.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
accuracy,

Old February 4th 07, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Susan

Russ, sorry I'm not as astute as you are. Your reply however, is not
helpful. A slap on the wrist might make some feel superior, but without any
concrete suggestions to add to the string, is nothing more than a slap on the
wrist, best to keep the chastising to yourself - it makes you sound smug.

The bottom line is that the program is lacking a fundamental communications
tool and without user input the developers will not know what areas need to
be addressed and included in future service packs.

Old February 4th 07, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
bjr

You should have read the list of features in each version before you
buy. That info has been available for about a year. The fax has NEVER
been part of Premium, only Ultimate and Business.
If fax software came with your modem, try installing that. Otherwise,
stop whining and go buy some fax software. There are many to choose from.

Old February 4th 07, 06:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You wanted to know how to view your old faxes. I told you. That was your
only question. The rest was just a rant. I've always been puzzled by users'
expectation that Windows should provide reliable, robust fax software as
part of the OS. Microsoft has done little to create that expectation since
the software it has provided is neither reliable nor robust. Most users who
need to fax purchase a third party product, which you are certainly free to
do. I can assure you the fax feature will not be added back into the basic
versions of Vista in some sort of Service Pack, if that's what you're
asking. Features for each version were set long ago.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old February 5th 07, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Susan

guys, please stop. I came to ask a question, perhaps find a solution from
another party and I get only attitude.

Is this a community area for regular windows users to ask questions and
hopefully get some decent advise or is this only for professional types who
follow software development? I haven't been following the development of
Vista for a year, nor do I feel that I have to. Microsoft has a long standing
goal of selling operating systems that everyone can use, and I believe I am
in the group of everyone. I am not whining.

Can you tell me where on the Vista box it says no fax? I also don't see it
on the side by side comparison that is designed to help people make a choice.
I'm not seeing it. Also, I upgraded from XP home and the problem is with
Vista not working with the fax software that worked with XP. I have a Dell
XPS--only five months old, but I'm sure a patch is forthcoming.