Cnnot power on after a hibernation....

Old August 14th 09, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bill Daggett

Default Cnnot power on after a hibernation....

"Curious" wrote:

Interesting on any of my computers if I push and hold the power button on
the front of the computer for about 5 seconds it completely shuts down and
therefore completely interrupts any running process and the next time I
boot I get an F8 dialog stating that my computer shutdown abnormally.
From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on the
front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu
available from the start menu. which I am not aware of.

My Toshiba notebook works like that.

"David B." wrote in message
So did I

--

------
"Curious" wrote in message
By power button I mean the on/off power button/switch on the front of the
computer and not the Icon on the startup menu.

"David B." wrote in message
Says who? Using the power button to suspend, hibernate, or shutdown a
computer is perfectly acceptable behavior. That's why there are setting
which let you set what the power button does.

--

------
"Curious" wrote in message
Unplug the computer and try plugging it back in again after a few
minutes.
You should never use the power button to try and put a computer into
hibernation or sleep mode you use the start button to select the
shutdown mode.
If appears that the computer was shutoff by using the on/off button and
may not be able to recover from the unscheduled shutdown.
Try an F8 safe mode boot if a normal mode boot does not work.

"colojomo" wrote in message

hi,

i have an hp laptop running vista home premium. Well my girl hit the
power button to put it into hibernation, she said it didnt do
anything.
Then she went to the start menu and put it into hibernate from there.
Well, now the pc will not power on, it is showing no signs of power
whatsoever. The onlt sign of power to the machine is the little light
around the AC input jac is lit up when its plugged in. PLEASE help so
much info on it.

Thanks in Advance

--
colojomo

Old August 14th 09, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dominic Payer[_2_]

There is usually an option in the BIOS to set whether the power button
acts instantly or after a delay, usually 4 seconds.

In Vista's power options there is a menu option "Change what the power
buttons do".

On 14/08/2009 18:55, Curious wrote:
Interesting on any of my computers if I push and hold the power button
on the front of the computer for about 5 seconds it completely shuts
down and therefore completely interrupts any running process and the
next time I boot I get an F8 dialog stating that my computer shutdown
abnormally.
From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on
the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu
available from the start menu. which I am not aware of.

"David B." wrote in message
So did I

--

------

Old August 14th 09, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

That is what it's designed to do (depending on if your BIOS is set up that
way, most are by default), but if you press it and release immediately, it
will perform the function you specify in the power settings applet in
control panel.

--

------
"Curious" wrote in message
Interesting on any of my computers if I push and hold the power button on
the front of the computer for about 5 seconds it completely shuts down and
therefore completely interrupts any running process and the next time I
boot I get an F8 dialog stating that my computer shutdown abnormally.
From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on the
front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu
available from the start menu. which I am not aware of.

"David B." wrote in message
So did I

--

------

Old August 14th 09, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Well I learn something every day and control panel option works exactly as
you describe on my system. I just had never noticed it before.
Thank you for pointing it out to me.

"Curious" wrote in message
Interesting on any of my computers if I push and hold the power button on
the front of the computer for about 5 seconds it completely shuts down
and therefore completely interrupts any running process and the next
time I boot I get an F8 dialog stating that my computer shutdown
abnormally.
From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on
the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu
available from the start menu. which I am not aware of.

"David B." wrote in message
So did I

--

------

Old August 15th 09, 03:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Curious.

I was amazed to learn about that (momentary press of power button is
equivalent to Start | Shut Down) by reading messages here a few months ago.
And I've discovered another use for the power button since then - almost by
accident.

When I come back into my computer room after an absence of a half-hour or
more, my screen is usually black. Moving the mouse or using the keyboard
usually brings it back to life. But sometimes, especially after a much
longer absence, neither the keyboard nor the mouse has any effect. The hard
drive light doesn't blink, but the power button green led is pulsing slowly.
I soon learned that the Reset button works - but at the cost of a restart,
meaning that I lose whatever was not backed up before the sleep or
hibernation or whatever that state was.

One day I pressed the power button, rather than the Reset. Just
momentarily; I didn't hold it in for more than a second. Lo and behold!
The computer sputtered a little, the screen lit up - and I was right back
where I had left it. ;)

Maybe that's documented somewhere, but I overlooked it if it is. I'm glad
to have discovered this and I hope it will work for you, too. Please report
back if you try it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64

"Curious" wrote in message
Interesting on any of my computers if I push and hold the power button
on the front of the computer for about 5 seconds it completely shuts
down and therefore completely interrupts any running process and the
next time I boot I get an F8 dialog stating that my computer shutdown
abnormally.
From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on
the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu
available from the start menu. which I am not aware of.

"David B." wrote in message
So did I

--

------

Old August 17th 09, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

That's what I love about this place, always learning new stuff

--

------

"Curious" wrote in message
Interesting on any of my computers if I push and hold the power button
on the front of the computer for about 5 seconds it completely shuts
down and therefore completely interrupts any running process and the
next time I boot I get an F8 dialog stating that my computer shutdown
abnormally.
From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on
the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu
available from the start menu. which I am not aware of.

"David B." wrote in message
So did I

--

------

Old August 17th 09, 02:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

What really surprised me was that I had used the Power settings screen many
times to change the setting for what happens when I close the lid on my
laptop and never even noticed that I could also change the action to be
taken when the power button was pushed while the system is running. I now
use it to put my laptop to sleep instead of using the start menu.

"Curious" wrote in message
Interesting on any of my computers if I push and hold the power button
on the front of the computer for about 5 seconds it completely shuts
down and therefore completely interrupts any running process and the
next time I boot I get an F8 dialog stating that my computer shutdown
abnormally.
From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on
the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu
available from the start menu. which I am not aware of.

"David B." wrote in message
So did I

--

------

Old August 21st 09, 10:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chuck[_2_]

As a last resort, with the laptop disconnected from AC power, remove the
battery, wait about five minutes (more or less) replace the battery, and
reconnect to A/C power. This may help. Some laptops have a peculiar
sequence concerning power and the battery that can be used to go into a
diagnostic or restore mode. I have no idea if the one you are concerned with
has this feature, or how it might work if it does on your specific laptop.

"colojomo" wrote in message

guys i appreciate the help really i do, ive tried the the remove all
power, hold the power button down to discharge, plug back in and power
up method, it is not working

the power button does not do anything, no sign of power at all

please please please help, thanks

--
colojomo