Application Data Security in ProgramData folder

Old August 14th 09, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dweezil38

Default Application Data Security in ProgramData folder

Hi there

I've been searching high and low to find an answer to my problem, but
no luck.

I've got a Windows application that is using an Access Database to
track user data and an XML file to track where the database is located.
I'm using VS 2008 on Vista Ultimate created using VB. My Deployment
Project is creating a subform under C:\ProgramData and I can get my
files installed there no problem (DefaultLocation =
[CommonFilesFolder]\[ProductName]). I've set the application UAC setting
to run "asInvoker", uiAccess=\"false\". The application appears to
read/write and update the Access Database tables no problem but if I try
to Read or Write to my XML file, in the same folder, I get \"Access
Denied\". I have also set my application security properties to \"Click
once security settings\" and 'Full trusted application\". Still no
go!!?? I'm using a simple ReadXml and Write XML commands to update the
XML file. I am the Administrator on the computer.

The application will be used by any user that logs onto the computer. I
really don't want to change the UAC to \\"requireAdministrator\\\\".
I've seen referrences to \\\\"CoCreateInstanceAsAdmin\\\\" but my
managed code to update the XML file is all throughout the application so
I don't really want to create a separate COM for doing this updating.
Also I'm not really sure how to use the
\\\\"ConvertStringDescriptorToSecurityDescriptor\\ \\" action in my code.

Does anybody have a simple VB solution to this problem? Should I be
storing my Access Database and XML file in C:\USERS\PUBLIC? Sorry, I
have tried this but I can't find a way to get my Deployment Project to
referrence this folder.

Thanks Dweezil

--
Dweezil38
Old August 14th 09, 04:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dweezil38

Hi folks,

I found a problem in my code and can now read/write to my XML file. But
read/write from my Access Database is not working now.

--
Dweezil38

Old August 14th 09, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dweezil38

Hi again.

I think I found the problem, AGAIN!!. My bad. If all testing goes well
I believe this is a non-issue.

Thanks

--
Dweezil38

Old September 8th 09, 12:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
clawson

So what was the problem?

I'm having a similar issue, I'm not sure where I should be installing
the files for my program. I thought that ProgramData is the new all user
directory but when I run my program as a User I get an access denied
error when I try to write to this folder (obviously because the
permissions are set up that why).

So what is the best place to write files when my program is installed
that all users will be able to read/write to?

--
clawson

Old May 3rd 10, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
adamrob69

How did you do it? i have the same problem. My access database is fine,
but i carnt write to text files in the application data directory!

I have tried everything i can think off, and searched high and low!

--
adamrob69

Old May 3rd 10, 09:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_3_]

Many readers won't see the post that you are referring to, and won't
know what you are talking about. You should either include some quoted
material from the post when replying to a post, or better yet make an
entire new post with all of the relevant information included.

(I hate web-to-usenet gateways ... grumble... grumble)