Recoving 7 Zip Archive - Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive

Old August 17th 09, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
GodsDead

Default Recoving 7 Zip Archive - Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive

Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive error.

Hey all, i recently created a backup of all my websites, databases and
many projects, using a backup tool: cobian backup 9.
This created three files for the folder i was backing up (my xampp
directroy)
These were three 7-zip files split into 700mb, 001, 002, and 003.

I copyed these to an external HDD, re-formatted my Main HDD in my
machine, re-insatlled windows and copyed them back over.

I managed to extract these split up files from 001, which should give
me the directory i backed up.. but it didnt it game me another 7-zip
archive, this time an overall of the folder.. so it must have compressed
a compressed file.. THing is i cant read/extract it!

Now i cant open this archive with anything.. and its really important i
get this data back..

I have tryed WinRar, 7-Zip, The 'Tools Decompresser' in Cobian..

And im really starting to freak out, because i CANNOT lose this data..

What can i do to get my data back?

--
GodsDead
Old August 17th 09, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

GodsDead wrote:

[...]

I really feel for you. Now you know the reason for *testing* a backup first.
You can try to contact the guy who wrote Cobian backup, although I don't
think he's supporting it any more. The alternative - if no one else here has
a suggestion for you - is to contact a professional data recovery company. I
use Drive Savers (www.drivesavers.com). This will not be cheap.

Next time try a different backup program. I like Acronis True Image because
it images your system and does incremental backups.

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old August 17th 09, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Pauli Taglia[_2_]

GodsDead wrote:

And im really starting to freak out, because i CANNOT lose this data..

You could pray a lot... OH, just noticed your moniker.

Never miiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnd.
Old August 18th 09, 10:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
GodsDead

Oh no, so no-one has used a 7z recovery programme that works?
Most of the things i search, just seem to be a bunch of
rubbish/spyware...

well im not going to lose hope yet, keep trying i suppose..

--
GodsDead
Old August 18th 09, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
NetLink_Blue

"GodsDead" wrote in message

Oh no, so no-one has used a 7z recovery programme that works?
Most of the things i search, just seem to be a bunch of
rubbish/spyware...

well im not going to lose hope yet, keep trying i suppose..

I used to fool around with these two file-splitting programs:
HJSplit / MegaSplit

These programs split / join files. As a last resort, you might make copies
of your 001, 002 etc. files and try to "join" them into one large 7z
archvie. Then try to extract contents. Good luck.

NetBlue

Old October 23rd 09, 02:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Erasmus

GodsDead;4572516 Wrote:
[...]

I know some zip archives when you split them like that (assuming you
created one archive, and automatically split it into parts, rather than
just creating 3 archives) only store the header information in the first
archive.

So you can't just extract them separately, you need to tell the
extractor it's split into 3 parts and it should process it is as one
archive. You tried this?

--
Erasmus
Erasmus's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/147523.htm