Gateway static IP address disappears everytime I restart

Old August 19th 09, 05:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Gizzo

Default Gateway static IP address disappears everytime I restart

Now you see it now you don't. Here's the scenario. When I reboot
everytime, the gateway static IP address disappears. I have to
manually enter it again. Everytime!

I'm using Vista 32 Business SP2 on a Thinkpad X60s notebook.

Why does this happen and what's the solution?
Old August 19th 09, 08:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Sinner

"Gizzo" wrote in message
Now you see it now you don't. Here's the scenario. When I reboot
everytime, the gateway static IP address disappears. I have to
manually enter it again. Everytime!

I'm using Vista 32 Business SP2 on a Thinkpad X60s notebook.

Why does this happen and what's the solution?

I don't know why it happens, but you could try using device Manager to
uninstall your network adapter, reboot and let Windows rediscover the
adapter.

Windows Update is notorious for adding "new" drivers for network adapters.
Perhaps the latest one you received isn't quite right for the firmware it's
running.

Old August 19th 09, 11:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Malke[_2_]

Gizzo wrote:

Now you see it now you don't. Here's the scenario. When I reboot
everytime, the gateway static IP address disappears. I have to
manually enter it again. Everytime!

I'm using Vista 32 Business SP2 on a Thinkpad X60s notebook.

Why does this happen and what's the solution?

I replied and asked you quite a few clarifying questions in the other
newsgroup to which you posted. Please do not multipost like this; it will
get you *less* help, not more.

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

If you have forgotten where you posted or can't find your post, use Google
Groups Advanced Search and search for your name.

Then go to your thread in the other newsgroup and answer my questions. I
won't be monitoring this thread.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old August 25th 09, 03:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Gizzzo

I don't know why it happens, but you could try using device Manager to
uninstall your network adapter, reboot and let Windows rediscover the
adapter.

Windows Update is notorious for adding "new" drivers for network adapters..
Perhaps the latest one you received isn't quite right for the firmware it's
running.

Hi Sinner,

Thanks for the reply. It's exactly what I did and it somehow solved
it. For now. But it didn't come easily though. Let me tell you what
happened:

When I deleted the device, rebooted and entered the static IPs, Vista
sees 2 networks and refuses to connect. The multiple networks are our
corporate LAN and "Unidentified Network." However when I view the
status of each network from Network and Sharing Center, they're the
same, ie all static IPs are the same. There’s only 1 network! But I
don't know why Vista sees 2 networks when there is only 1. The other
mystery is this: even if View Status from NSC shows the correct IPs,
when I check it through the command line it's different. It also says
DHCP enabled when it's not. They’re just different viewing interfaces
to show the same thing: your IP configuration yet they show different
things. One shows the static IPs as entered, the command line shows
what seems like random IPs but is actually indicative of a DHCP
configuration that has not found a valid IP. A vista bug?

So what I did was to get a new IP for my laptop (Default Gateway,
Subnets, DNS remains the same) from our netads and it seems to working
now. But as for the mysteries as to why Vista behaves as such, they
remain unsolved. Well that’s Vista. I’m thinking of getting a macbook
pro.

Old April 20th 10, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
T. Keating

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:31:28 -0700 (PDT), Gizzo
wrote:

Now you see it now you don't. Here's the scenario. When I reboot
everytime, the gateway static IP address disappears. I have to
manually enter it again. Everytime!

I'm using Vista 32 Business SP2 on a Thinkpad X60s notebook.

Why does this happen and what's the solution?

Same here.. but on a 17.3" Toshiba laptop., 3GB, Dual core AMD, 32
bit vista prem home..

Everything was working patches, reboots, etc. until I installed SP2
then all manually config'd wired network access was gone.. IP..
subnet mask.. default route... poof ... (ipconfig showed an
unresolved DHCP addr with a class B subnet mask)

And my problem was a bit more severe.
Vista would ignored any and all the IPv4 manual IP settings main
page for that 10/100/Ge network wired adapter (it would retain them
from reboot to reboot, but the settings had no effect.) Vista just
ignored the manual settings and reverted to an unresolved DHCP addr
and mask.

Then I got an idea.. disable DHCP and leave the rest of main page
Manual IP settings blank, and enter them in Advanced page. That
worked for the IPv4 addr and subnet mask.. (P.S. Those settings
carried back into the main page, since only one manual IP addr was
assigned) and Vista continued to use those settings from reboot to
reboot.

But, I still loose the gateway setting after each reboot.. (looks like
this a reoccuring theme on the usenet group.. I.E. gateway 0.0.0.0
posts)

PS. Subsequent patch download and updated both wireless and enet
adapter, with no effect.

Looks like someone @M$ failed to test their new SP2 code before
inflicting it upon the real world..