Terminology question

Old August 20th 09, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
M Skabialka

Default Terminology question

I know there is a term for this though. The hard drive failed, the
manufacturer is sending a new one. What is the term that means everything
has been pre-installed and it just needs to be placed into the machine and
it's like buying it new from the store?
There's a short simple word for this - it's driving me nuts trying to think
of it....! Pre-loaded isn't it...

"smlunatick" wrote in message
On Aug 20, 3:35 pm, "M Skabialka" wrote:
What is the term used to describe a replacement hard drive from a
manufacturer which already has the OS and other software installed on it?
Someone told me it was "bricked" but that doesn't sound right.

A "bricked" unit, of anything, tends to mean a device with all the
latest updates installed onto but the device fails to even start up
into a "working" mode.

Bricked devices tend to be "non-mechanical" devices that require
electronic control software (aka firmware) to be updated to the
internal "memory." Hard drives are "mechincal" and we do not
normally have to update the firmwares on these.

Old August 20th 09, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL[_3_]

I've never come across a manufacturer that supplies a hd preinstalled, to
replace a defective hd
Who is this manufacturer?

Old August 20th 09, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL[_3_]

Did they agree to supply a HD with everything pr-einstalled or are you
asking what the terminology is so that you can request that? - if so i would
think it highly unlikely they would agree to that.

Old August 20th 09, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

When you purchase a new system from an OEM it comes with a version of the OS
installed and then you have to activate that OS by entering the uniques
product key that comes on the COA sticker mounted on the side or bottom of
the system,
So if the OEM is convinced that the HDD in your system has failed while
under warranty it does not seem unreasonable that they might replace it with
a duplicate of the one that came with the system originally under their RMA
policy.
The system would again have to be activated after installing the new drive
using the systems unique product key using phone activation.

Old August 21st 09, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

"DL" wrote in message
[...]

If the OS is "Bios Locked" then I can see why they would provide the drive
with factory condition software.

Old August 21st 09, 01:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
M Skabialka

The drive came in, I installed it, turned it on and it is going through a
very extensive installation routine right now with a large box in the center
that says:

Your hard drive has been recognized and the computer is now installing the
programs that were included in your original system order. This process may
take up to 60 minutes to complete.
Your keyboard and mouse may be disabled while your programs are being
installed.
Your computer may restart several times during this process.
Security updates and the programs you ordered are now being installed on
your computer.
Please do not turn off your computer. This window will disappear once the
installation is complete.

Over to the left is a list of items being installed, over 30 of them, and it
is checking them off as it goes, and the list grows every time it reboots.
It's a setup screen I have never observed before in setting up a laptop or
PC (which I have done many of in the past 20 years).

Dell's description of the disk is "imaged" which makes sense. I must have
been thinking of the era in SC Tom's posting where years ago drives came
with alternate operating systems and whichever one you chose the other was
erased - it was called "bricked" back them.

Old August 21st 09, 09:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL[_3_]

Well good on them

"David B." wrote in message
I've seen Dell do it.