Modem

Old August 25th 09, 06:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
William J. Lunsford

Default Modem

I'm looking for a PCI or PCIe fax modem with basic fax software that will
work with 64-bit Vista Home Premium. I just need a modem and basic software
for sending and receiving an occasional fax. I've done some searching, but
have found little information regarding software included with modems.

Bill

Old August 25th 09, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bill Daggett

"William J. Lunsford" wrote:

I'm looking for a PCI or PCIe fax modem with basic fax software that will
work with 64-bit Vista Home Premium. I just need a modem and basic software
for sending and receiving an occasional fax. I've done some searching, but
have found little information regarding software included with modems.

Such software hasn't been bundled with modems for YEARS. MANY YEARS.

Buy a stand-alone program like Snappy Fax.
Old August 25th 09, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dominic Payer[_2_]

A USB modem would do the job well and you would not need to open the case.

Many modems, though not all, come with some basic fax software, but the
point of sale documentation often does not mention it. As long as there
are drivers for the modem any Vista compatible software, usually 32-bit
- I know of no 64-bit fax software - will work. There are a number of
free fax programs available for download if the modem you choose does
not include any. Google for "free fax software for vista".

Drivers for many modems are included with Vista. If you are not sure
whether a modem will work with x64 Vista you will need to find which
chipset it uses to confirm that x64 drivers for that chipset are available.

Old August 26th 09, 05:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
William J. Lunsford

I found that the USR5637 usb fax modem does come with fax software and works
with Vista. I ordered it from Newegg.
Thanks again for your responses.

Bill