.wav files no longer recognized

Old August 28th 09, 10:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Squa190

Default .wav files no longer recognized

My computer no longer recognizes .wav files

In the window to set a program to open types of files .wav isnt even
listed as a choice. Any Ideas??

--
Squa190
Old August 30th 09, 01:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Squa190.

Please always mention the Windows version that you are using.

And HOW are you setting the default for .wav files? Please tell us, step by
step.

In Vista/Win7, click Control Panel | Default Programs. Then choose
"Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program". On the next
screen, scroll way down to .wav - between .wab and .wax. It appears in my
Win7 Ultimate x64; the Description is Wave Sound; the Current Default is
Windows Media Player.

Please tell us - in at least this much detail - how you are trying to make
this association.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old August 31st 09, 05:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Squa190

I am using Vista 64-bit Home Premium

.wav is not listed in the default program associate filetype page so I
can not set a default.

--
Squa190
Old August 31st 09, 10:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Squa190.

Can you browse to a .wav file, right-click on it, and choose to Open
with...Windows Media Player?

I just noticed that your Subject says "no longer". Did it work before?
What happened just before it quit working?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old September 1st 09, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Squa190

Yes it used to acknowledge wav files with no problem. I am not currently
at my computer but will check if media player can open them still.

As to what happened, I'm not sure. I had downloaded and installed
various audio editors (one at a time, not all at once) in order to find
one that suited my needs. At some point my computer just no longer
recognized the file format. I used the program manger for
adding/removing software each time to uninstall the programs and while I
could understand that Windows would no longer recognize which software
to use as a default after doing something like this. I do not understand
why it doesn't even recognize .wav as a valid file format all together.

--
Squa190