Trying to copy a folder to external HD

Old September 9th 09, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
alexdagr8est

Default Trying to copy a folder to external HD

If you have nothing on the external HDD i recommend either formatting
it, or seeing if you have encryption enabled on those folders.

--
alexdagr8est

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary
and those that don't.
Old September 10th 09, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Badger[_3_]

Sam, have you had any luck so far?

If you know the partition and drive your folder is in, you can use the more
powerful CMD.EXE (command prompt program)
Just right click CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator.
Then type CD\ to put you in the Root directory.
Change to your folder location and type XCOPY *.*/S (external drive
letter)(folder name followed by a back slash to tell xcopy it is a folder)
Hit Enter,

Good Luck,
Badger

"SaminDallas" wrote in message

No, that doesnt work either. I just tried to copy a single PDF file to
the external HD, and that is giving same error; stating Could Not file
file. Although the PDF file is selectable, and can be open on my
computer. So it is definately there.

I have Nortel AV running; I turned this off and still same problem.

I see quite a few other people have seen this problem, as they are
trying to delete files. I of course dont want to delete the file, but
want to make a backup.

SaminDallas

--
SaminDallas

Old September 10th 09, 11:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SaminDallas

Am afraid I still have the problem. I tried the software program
suggested in one of the answers, I tried xcopy and robocopy. Robocopy
states file not there.

Am still not sure what issue is. I suspect root cause is some type of
folder registry or index is getting screwed up.

I wonder if Windows 7 will fix this,

SaminDallas

--
SaminDallas

Old September 11th 09, 01:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SaminDallas

Maybe its an issue with my external hard disk drive. I am able to copy
the PDF file to another folder within the C: drive. But the "Could not
find file" error message shows up when I try to copy to the external G:
drive.

The external G: drive is a NTFS drive.

By the way - I have just signed up for an online remote backup service
!

--
SaminDallas

Old September 13th 09, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SaminDallas

Ok - well I signed up for Mozy, and success! After several days of Mozy
uploading the files all my files are backed up. Its seems a pretty good
system, plus the backup is not located in same office - its on external
servers.

I havent fixed original problem. I have no idea what issue is; I
suspect an issue in the bowels of Microsoft.

If other people are trying to do what I did, to make a local backup
copy, and you cannot due to bug - you may want to consider external
online backup service.

--
SaminDallas