Vista SP2 Router Problems

Old September 19th 09, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bblancha

Default Vista SP2 Router Problems

I just upgraded to SP2 and now my network response thru my Linksys
BEFSX41 router is terrible. Less than dial up modem speed for download
but upload is unaffected. Linksys had a new firmware update for this in
August 09 and I applied that. I ran a test and it appeared the download
speed was back to normal but after a few hours it is now back to 24k
download speed. If I connect directly to my PC without going thru the
router the network speed is fine. Since the router is 7 years old I
would get a new one, but I have little confidence in SP2 and I'm afraid
I might just have problems with something new. Are these router
problems common with SP2 and can someone recommend a model for a
wireless router that they have that works with SP2? I'll spend the $
for the latest and greatest if it will work.

--
bblancha
Old September 20th 09, 02:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brink

Hello bblancha,

Since the router is 7 years old, you might see if trying the different
Auto Tuning settings in the tutorial below may be able to help with this
going through the router to see which one works best for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72...ive-level.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

bblancha;1139705 Wrote:
[...]

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
'*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old September 25th 09, 03:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bblancha

Shawn, Thanks for the info. It helped me to understand what was going
on and that it wasn't specifically Vista SP2 that was the problem, but
the combination of new and old together. Based upon the age of my
router and the fact that I also wanted to get a wireless router, I
decided to abandon the old router and bought a new one (D-Link DIR-825).
After getting the most up to date firmware on the new router I'm now
able to connect successfully. Before the firmware update I was
initially connecting, getting a couple of web pages, then it lost
connection. Three calls to D-Link support in India, including level 2
help, and each time they made things worse, changing all kinds of
settings to the point where I could no longer connect. My ISP tech guy
suggested just resetting to the factory defaults, which I did. I found
the firmware update and after that it worked fine. D-Link support was
easy to reach but worse than useless ... they just compounded the
problems. Thankfully my ISP, PTD.NET, has great tech support.

--
bblancha