Vista Banter

-   Printing, Faxing and Scanning with Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/printing-faxing-scanning-vista/)
-   -   Can ping printer but can't print (http://www.vistabanter.com/171309-can-ping-printer-but-cant-print.html)

sandals30 September 21st 09 03:26 AM

Can ping printer but can't print

Hi all. I'm new to this forum, but thru searching I think I might get
the help I need here.
I have a Brother MFC-420CN that I had hooked up to our Fios wireless
router for almost 2 yrs with no problems. We had to unhook everything
for a while. When I went to set it back up tonight I tried to print to
it from My Dell Desktop (Vista Home Basic) but it kept erroring out. I
noticed that it said it was offline. I checked my router admin page and
it showed the printer as active and enabled with an IP address of
192.168.1.100. I was able to successfully ping it from the admin panel
and the comand prompt, but I was not able to view it in a browser
window. I tried rebooting the router, PC and printer to no avail. I then
tried printing from my wireless laptop, (Compaq- Vista). I successfully
did a test print from the laptop, but then I tried to view the printer
thru an internet browser and after that it did the same thing as the
Dell. It will show Ready for the status, but if I try to print it errors
out and goes to Offline. I tried it from one other laptop we have
(Toshiba-Vista) with no luck. I tried deleting and readding the printer,
no change. I found a thread that said to remove SNMP from the Port
settings. I did that on both the Dell and the Compaq. The Compaq now
prints, but the Dell still won't print at all. Haven't tried it on the
Toshiba yet (limited access- teenagers pc :-)
I don't see why unplugging it would make it stop working on all three
pc's. I don't know why I can ping it, but not connect to it in a browser
or print to it. I would really like some help to get it working again on
all three pc's.

--
sandals30

Malke[_2_] September 21st 09 11:44 AM

sandals30 wrote:

[...]

Did you set a static IP on the printer? If not, it has picked up a different
IP address than what it had when you installed it and the computers are
looking for the printer at the original IP address. This is a common mistake
to not set a static IP address on network printers. After you disable DHCP
for the printer and set the IP as static (refer to the printer manual for
how to do this if you can't figure it out from the menu on the printer
itself), go to each computer and change the printer's IP address to the
correct one.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

sandals30[_2_] September 21st 09 05:44 PM

Can ping printer but can't print

Thanks Malke, but it's been the same static IP address for the last two
years. I have made sure each computer shows the correct IP for the port.
It hasn't changed on any of the PC's or on the printer. Any more ideas?

--
sandals30

Malke[_2_] September 21st 09 06:13 PM

sandals30 wrote:

Thanks Malke, but it's been the same static IP address for the last two
years. I have made sure each computer shows the correct IP for the port.
It hasn't changed on any of the PC's or on the printer. Any more ideas?

Since the problem exists on all computers, it's either the printer or the
router then. Aside from that, I'm sorry but I don't have any other ideas for
you. Sorry I was unable to help you.

Malke

Chuck[_2_] October 11th 09 07:50 AM

Can ping printer but can't print

For whatever reasons-- I ended up getting our old MFC-420CN working againby
uninstalling it completely, Using a cleanup utility from Brother,
and removing the USB controller and port drivers for teh specific USB
controller and ports conected to it.
With the printer disconnected from everything but power, I rebooted the
problematic XP P/C, and allowed it to automatically reinstall the USB
drivers for the USB Controller, etc. (Then shutdown & restart/ Reboot) With
the printer connected to the LAN, make sure that it has a static TCP IP
address, and is at least functional by printing one of the menu or
status/log sheets using the printer internal capabilities.

Now, you should be able to install the Brother LAN driver & software
package, the printer should be recognized, etc.
The Brother utilities for LAN use should see the printer if the desktop has
the correct LAN options and capabilities loaded & properly configured.
Possible router related problems include assigning a static IP address that
is in the range of addresses dynamically assigned by the router.
You want teh router "switch" to pass traffic to/from the printer, but not
make it available to the outside world.
At one point, I had the Brother working with an ethernet connection to a
wired/"secured" wireless router, and my Vista and XP wireless computers
could at least use the printer.

The Brother status monitor should be disabled for reliable LAN operation.
(It can cause all sorts of problems)
You may have to configure the desktop for Netbios/Lanman support to get the
printer to be recognized, at least initially.
Getting the Fax functions to work over the LAN conection (as I remember) was
a maybe process.
Mine worked with XP up to SP2 over the LAN. I retired it before SP3, and
gave it to a grandson to use via a usb connection.