Windows detected a hard disk problem

Old January 28th 07, 09:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve B

Default Windows detected a hard disk problem

Hi Guys,

I have just posted the attached on the Windows Help Forums and think it
may help. It probably not appropriate to redirect you, so will repost.

My appologies upfront, it is far from technical or well written,
following a fairly sleepless night to resolve this issue on two
systems.

Essentially I set out to find why I was getting disconnects on an XBOX
360 Extender Session under Vista and found that the Diagnostic Policy
Service (DPS) was at fault.

I am sure others can now come up with a better resolution, but
hopefully this will give you a quick fix to your issues and put others
in the right ball park to work on a better fix.

Regards Steve B

Posted by myself to WindowsHelp Forums

Hi Again,

A couple of hours sleep and I have solved my own connection terminated

issues on the Xbox 360. It appears that my hunch was correct on this
occasion
with the issue being around an alert / popup attempting to warn the
Xbox360
session of impending harddrive failure based upon SMART data.
(Disabling
Smart in the Bios had no effect).

I would imagine there is a far more elegant way to do this, but for
simplicity I did the following.

opened Group Policy Editor - i.e. execute gpedit.msc

Navigate - to the following setting

local computer policy
computer configuration
administrative templates
system
troubleshooting and diagnostics
disk diagnostic
disk diagnostic: configure execution level

Double Click or Properties on this value and set it to disabled. nb.
Not
configured is enabled by default.

Close the Group Policy Editor, no reboot or reset of services is
required.
Any Disk / Smart related errors will now simply be written to the log
with
the end user not given various popups on corrective course of action.

I hope that this help others overcome this problem. I doubt very much
that
this is the best approach, but at the very least it quickly allowed me
identify the root cause of my connectivity issues.

My closing thoughts are just why exactly is DPS warning Extender
Sessions of
of S.M.A.R.T. and potentially other faults. These will never be
displayed and
will obviously lead to Termination of Connections.

--
Steve B
Steve B's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21355

http://forums.techarena.in