HP refusing to provide printer drivers for Photosmart 1115

Old January 28th 07, 09:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Suffolk Punch

Default HP refusing to provide printer drivers for Photosmart 1115

Hello all & Microsoft,

I have been trying to download a driver for the HP Photosmart 1115. HP say:

We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista printer
driver available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work
with Windows Vista.
If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please
consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista.
HP has numerous products on the market that support Windows Vista:
http://www.hp.com/united-states/tradein/home_flash.html

This is outrageous, I am going to have to junk my perfectly good printer.
Can some pressure be applied to HP...its only writing a printer driver !

Alex

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan
Old January 28th 07, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
David Hearn

Suffolk Punch wrote:
Hello all & Microsoft,

I have been trying to download a driver for the HP Photosmart 1115. HP say:

We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista printer
driver available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work
with Windows Vista.
If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please
consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista.
HP has numerous products on the market that support Windows Vista:
http://www.hp.com/united-states/tradein/home_flash.html

This is outrageous, I am going to have to junk my perfectly good printer.
Can some pressure be applied to HP...its only writing a printer driver !

Alex

If it's 'only writing a printer driver' then I'm sure you can do one
yourself!

HP launched that printer in 2001:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr...1/011001b.html

Therefore that printer model is over 5 years old.

First, have a think about what goes into developing drivers. Whilst you
may 'only' spend 4 weeks writing the code for the drivers, you then need
to fully test it. This may itself take a month or so to get completed
(don't forget you need to schedule time in the test lab, get the
equipment etc). Now test it on 64bit Vista, thus doubling the testing.

So, a rather conservative estimate is maybe 3 man months to develop a
printer driver for a class of product.

Now count the number of products HP has produced since 2000 and multiply
that with 3 man months per product.

Then weigh up the fact that, whilst you're spending all this time
writing drivers, your developers are unable to be working on drivers for
next month's new products. Add in the fact that you'll have to support
those drivers for the next X years (MS provide 10 years of support for
each OS delivery).

And finally, you're aware that those products are old, and you're aware
that by not developing Vista drivers, you may be able to encourage some
people to purchase new printers etc.

All in all, this seems to suggest that you're spending quite a
significant amount of money to support reasonably old products (in
computing 5 years is quite a while) and whilst doing so, reducing the
market for new products.

Had the product been released in 2005, then it would be more of a
problem. Don't forget - this particular printer was released prior to
Windows XP!

And finally - HP are not forcing you to dump your printer. They have
provided support up to and including XP. No one is forcing you to use
Vista, if you don't want to spend £100 on a new printer, then don't
spend £200 on Vista.

Oh, and really, I do mean finally! You may find that the XP drivers
will work in Vista. *May* being the important point! I'm running the
XP drivers for my HP LasjerJet 1200 as the MS drivers for this printer
were generic and not very good (read, impossible to print more than 1
copy of a document, even if you selected multiple copies in the print
options). Going to the XP drivers, everything worked fine. I've not
checked in the last few weeks to see if HP have released new Vista
drivers for it.

Hope that helps,

David

Old January 30th 07, 02:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Hugh Wyn Griffith

When and if you install VISTA I suggest you just take a deep breath and
see what happens.

I can't speak for old printers but I just installed VISTA Business RTM
with my very old HP SJ 5P scsi connected scanner using an old Adaptec
19160 controller card and both were detected by VISTA device manager
and showed up without any flags.

The only thing I had to do to get the scanner to work perfectly, as it
has done under XP, W2K, WIN98 and probably WIN95, was to install the
old HP Deskscan 2.9 software and bingo it scan and copies beautifully.

I'd be surprised if your Photosmart printer did not work also. Maybe if
there are some special features in the HP XP driver they may not be
available if VISTA does not set it up fully with what it has on board
but in that case I would try installing the XP sofware package that
came with the printer and see what happens.

PS If necessary you can buy an HP PS 8250 printer from NewEgg at the
moment for $75 .... wonderful 6 color printer with ink tanks.

Old February 2nd 07, 01:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ken Scott

I have a photosmart 1115 printer as well. It doesn't work with Vista. I
just bought new ink carts for it, it did work great under XP. This is
absurd, I DON'T WANT A NEW PRINTER, this one works fine, Microsoft you got
me again with Vista, Please provide the correct print driver!!

Old February 2nd 07, 11:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

ken

MS are not responsible for hardware drivers.. the hardware manufacturers are
fully responsible.. take it up with HP..

"Suffolk Punch" wrote:

[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then

Old February 2nd 07, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
David Hearn

4 things, similar to what I said to the original poster.

1.) Microsoft do not write drivers. That's up to the hardware
manufacturers to do.
2.) No one (certainly not Microsoft) forced you to move to Vista
3.) The printer was released over 5 years ago (ie. before Windows XP)
4.) The printer still works in XP, so nothing has suddenly broken the
printer

Old February 4th 07, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jeffrey S. Sparks

Try choosing the HP Business jet 1200 it worked for my photosmart 1215

Jeff

"Suffolk Punch" wrote:

[...]

"I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based
Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan

Old February 6th 07, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
dominiquechassot

Bonjour !

Je parle en français. Les drivers XP ne fonctionnent pas pour Vista en
ce qui concerne l'imprimante HP ohotosmart 1115 et le scanner HP
scanjet 2200c.

J'ai posé la question à HP et voici la réponse :

Cher Monsieur Chassot,

Merci pour votre e-mail.
Je suis désolé mais les produits que vous possédez ne sont pas
supportés sous Windows Vista.

Veuillez agréer, Monsieur Chassot, nos salutations les plus
distinguées,

Alain

Assistance clientèle HP - Equipe Scanjet.

Pour ma part, je pense qu'il s'agit tout simplement d'un manque de
volonté de satisfaire la clientèle. Dès lors, je vais effectivement
changer de matériel mais je n'achèterai plus jamais HP. En effet, j'ai
du matériel bien plus vieux qui fonctionne encore à merveille sous
Windows Vista. Alors... adieu HP !!!

--
dominiquechassot
dominiquechassot's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21748

http://forums.techarena.in

Old February 6th 07, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Vous ferriez mieux de poster dans les groups de langue Francais qui
existe.

I have my very old HP SJ5P working by using the old Deskscan 2.9
software which uses TWAIN -- this worked for me in Windows 2000 and in
XP and I see others posting for Epson scanners that TWAIN is the answer
there.

If you search through the folders for General and for Hardware here for
HP you will find a number of useful suggestions and you may find that a
later driver from HP will work on your earlier devices.

Before you write off HP see what others are saying about Canon and
Epson who are giving the same answers.