No sata driver for Nforce 4 mobo, no driver for Audigy 2 value

Old January 29th 07, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
broccolibeef

Default No sata driver for Nforce 4 mobo, no driver for Audigy 2 value

This is part of my first impressions of Vista--I have an evaluation copy of
Vista Ultimate(32 bit, Build 5840) obtained from an MS launch event in Los
Angeles.

First, I have an Asus A8N-E mobo, supporting AMD 939 socket CPUS, and with
BIOS 1080. But under Vista, my SATA HD--Western Digital WD1600JS--is not
recoginized as an SATA device but an ATA device. In fact, NO SATA channels
are installed or recognized in "Device Manager" at all! Anyone else has this
experience?

Second, Vista Build 5840 does not contain any driver for my sound
card--Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value! When I went to Windows Update,
there is no driver there either for the soundcard. I found a beta driver for
the sound card at Creative's website! Is this normal, considering that Build
5840 is almost the final build? Final build of Vista is 6000. For those who
have had Build 6000--the RTM Build, does that build have the driver for the
aforementioned sound card as well as the sata driver for Nforce 4 motherboard?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old January 29th 07, 01:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pete

"broccolibeef" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know why you're surprised.
We're all waiting on manufacturers to write drivers for Vista. At best, most
are still beta.
Why anyone would purchase Vista now for an XP machine is beyond me.
It's stupid.
-Pete

Old January 29th 07, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
broccolibeef

"Pete" wrote, among other things:

It's stupid.
-Pete

Maybe! But to be fair, I am not the only one! You could take a look at the
number of people asking questions about Vista here!

Get hold of yourself and have a nice day!

Old January 29th 07, 02:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Boogerhead14

I've got the full version, aka final build, of Vista Ultimate (OEM), and I
ran into the same thing.

Creative Labs does have a beta driver for the Audigy 2 Value card on their
site. I've got it loaded, and it seems to work well enough.

Unfortunately, you're hosed with NVidia for the moment. I ran into same
thing with my printer, my fax modem, my SCSI card, and my webcam.

They don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing. I'm hopeful the drivers
will come soon. Buck up, camper!

Old January 29th 07, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ed_

In article ,
=?Utf-8?B?YnJvY2NvbGliZWVm?= says...

[...]

My Vista build is on another board but I do have the A8N-E with MCE 2005 and my
Sata is listed in DM as a PCI Controller drive. From what I understand this is
not unusual at all, especially if you do not load the SATA driver or the bios.
I never did but I boot from this drive and everything runs fine.

How does the drive show in the bios? Mine shows in the bios. As long as it is
fine there, I wouldn't sweat it.

Ed_

Old January 29th 07, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
broccolibeef

Thanks to everyone who has replied! Everything is working FINE, except that
they are not perfect! For instance, I would like my HD to be recognized as
an SATA drive, because it is one in actuality and correctly recognized under
XP! Under Vista, at this moment, it is only recognized as an ATA drive!

With regard to Creative's sound cards, they are so prevalent on the
market--so many people have their products. I am just quite surprised that
Vista does not come with any native driver included for, at least, some of
Creative's sound cards!

Everything is working fine on my machine with Vista Ultimate (32 bit, Build
5840), but not perfect.

I am a big fan of cutting edge of technologies, especially in the PC area!

Thanks again for the reply!

Old January 29th 07, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Theo

SATA drives are designated under the "IDE ATA/ATAPI
controllers" or under the "SCSI and RAID controllers"
depending on both the system BIOS and the driver for the
controller.

If the system BIOS has options for both SATA & RAID and the
option is set to SATA they will be listed under "IDE
ATA/ATAPI controllers" and usually do not need an additional
driver. When listed this way you will usually see double
entires for "Primary IDE Channel" and "Secondary IDE
Channel" in the Device Manager.

If the option is set to RAID they will be listed under the
"SCSI and RAID controllers" and usually require an
additional RAID driver.

Either way is absolutely correct and does not affect your
system performance when using SATA drives in a non-RAID
configuration.

When you have a RAID configuration they will always be
listed under "SCSI and RAID controllers" and you will need
an additional SATA RAID driver if it is not included in the
Windows base.

Old January 29th 07, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

From a VISTA OS point of view the same software controller driver interface
is used for Serial ATA(SATA) as is used for Parellel ATA(PATA/IDE) since the
controller is what handles the actual physical interface and drive
characteristics.

news