Using "Select multiple files or folders"

Old October 13th 09, 02:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Brink

Default Using "Select multiple files or folders"

John,

As a test, reset your folder view settings using the download from
METHOD TWO in the tutorial below to see if it will work after merging
the .reg file and restarting the computer.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html

John;1158894 Wrote:
"Brink" wrote in message

Hello John,

You have the "SHIFT" key part right for selecting all files inbetween
the first and last one selected.

This is exactly what I am doing. It is also exactly what I copied
from
Vista Help.

To select random multiple files your would do so by pressing and
holding down the "CTRL" (control) key while select the files instead.

Random, using CTRL works great. Does just as it says.

There was no change after using this. I check the first, hold SHIFT,
press
the last, then DELETE and it only deletes those two files.

This may help: The instruction you quoted above about the SHIFT key
works
exactly the same way using the CTRL. Therefore, I think the answer is
that
the SHIFT operation is really doing the CTRL operation; that is,
"random"
selection. To repeat: they both function the same way, as "random"
selects, instead of the intended "multiple" selects.

I already have the "check box" option checked.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

John;1158750 Wrote:
I want to select a long string of files (for deletion).

Vista Help says:

--To select a consecutive group of file or folders, click the first
item,
hold down the SHIFT key, and then click the last item.
--To select a consecutive group of files or folders without using
the
keyboard, drag the mouse pointer to create a selection around the
outside of
all the items you want to include.

Using #1, it selects the "first item" and the "last item," but none
of
the
items between the two.
Using #2, it tries to MOVE files, not select them.

My last OS did it this way, but Vista does not. Do I have something
set
so
it behaves the way it does? How do I easily select multiple files?

John

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'

(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' ('Windows 7 Forums'

(http://www.sevenforums.com/))
'*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*

See inline answers.

John

Old October 13th 09, 05:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John[_22_]

See inline comment:

"Brink" wrote in message

John,

As a test, reset your folder view settings using the download from
METHOD TWO in the tutorial below to see if it will work after merging
the .reg file and restarting the computer.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html

File Reset_Folder_View.reg does not offer MERGE as a right-click option as
indicated in the tutorial, only Open, Cut, Copy, Delete, and Properties, so
I can't do it. "Open" offers virtually all the programs I have on the
computer.

John

Old October 13th 09, 12:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

John wrote:

What would a different keyboard do? I'm not having any other problems
with
the keyboard. I've used this for years and it did the Select Multiple
Files on the previous OS with this keyboard and it worked perfectly.

Because keyboards don't last forever and your Shift key may be stuck or not
working. It's an easy enough test to do and at least will rule out hardware
issues. Since tons of other people, including me, have no problems selecting
files in Windows 7 it the issue you are experiencing is something unique to
your particular setup. Therefore, do the normal troubleshooting process of
elimination which in this case is to first switch out the keyboard.
Otherwise, Brink has the software end well in hand.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old October 13th 09, 12:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

Malke wrote:

Addendum to my last post. I meant to say "Vista" and not "Windows 7".
Doesn't change what I wrote, but I don't want any confusion.

Malke

Old October 13th 09, 01:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John[_22_]

OK, I did test it--with Word. SHIFT commands work correctly; so do CTRL
commands; all the time.

John