free security software?

Old October 20th 09, 08:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
NT Canuck[_2_]

Default free security software?

"slarke" wrote in message

What is the most recomended free security software for vista

Simple, it's all in the OS already.

1. use the Windows firewall (3rd party may work
but make sure they have their own support/forum).

2. keep the OS uptodate with MU (Microsoft Updates..auto)

3. read and send all email in plain text (may require different email)

4. do not open attachments period...unless explicitly
expecting one in plain text or zip from a known source.
Also send 'on demand' not automatic...save some folks.

5. set browser without cookies, no scripting, no Java, no flash.
(session cookies tolerable..but not all obey conventions)

6. do not click on anything you don't "know" where it's going.

7. use an A/V but not actually so important if you followed above.

8. do not install anything off the web not necessary...drivers
only from manufacturer site, same with software.

9. don't kid yourself, no A/V or spyware/Trojan blocker
gives your computer or OS any actual 'immunity'.

10. if you don't follow the above, nothing will be good enough.

The Windows MSSE isn't too bad, not really much worse
than the others for free or paid (none of them confer any
actual immunity...some are downright ransomware).

Times are changing and threats online and off are
accelerating at rates both in numbers and complexity.
Not just a little bit...at rates that no single application
or manufacturer can even pretend to deflect or capture.

Make sure you keep the keys/data to enable any
purchased software (also copy of software) on
a backup CD or "disconnected" hard drive, also
do same for any important data/office/business
programs and letters/email. Nothing is immune.

'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

Old October 20th 09, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ǝиçεl

http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.html

.

Old October 20th 09, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ǝиçεl

Old November 1st 09, 03:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Hans Broesicke

On Oct 19, 2:26*am, "Bob" wrote:
Avasthttp://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html, *Windows Firewall and
Windows Defender will do the job for you.

"slarke" wrote in message

What is the most recomended free security software for vista

Windows Firewall is just that, a firewall. Defender is an anti-spyware
program. I think the OP was asking about AV software. To that question
I think MS is offering FREE AV software to all Windows users now.
Here's a write up on it:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10...ty-essentials/

You can download it free he
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Old December 6th 09, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
malfunction44[_3_]

NT Canuk:

Very good advice.

(A) Will websites (e.g. ecommerce) work without scripting?

(B) If a malicious party had access to the windows source code and also
full access with unlimited time and resources to modify the windows
system image at the point of manufacture, could they modify the Vista
kernel to bypass Outbound firewalls so that malware can call home?

thanks,

malfunction44
malfunction44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161071.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-security/1260143.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old July 23rd 11, 12:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
nancy eaker

Default microsoft public windows.vista.security

Hello,

My current laptop security software has expired and with my life is put on pernament disability and now my husband has been very ill and we are not sure if he will be able to hold his current job, and others are so hard to find now. I don't like to beg for anything but our lifestyle has changed so much in the past years and one of my enjoyments I have is getting on laptop each day and keeping in touch with friends, family and other loved ones.

I hope I hear back from you. I have a windows vista program.

Blessings your way,
Nancy Eaker

On Monday, October 19, 2009 4:26 AM Bob wrote:

Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html, Windows Firewall and
Windows Defender will do the job for you.

On Monday, October 19, 2009 5:29 AM Richard G. Harper wrote:

Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...s/default.aspx

On Monday, October 19, 2009 7:37 PM Michael D. Ober wrote:

Panda Anti-Virus (www.pandasoftware.com)

On Monday, October 19, 2009 7:38 PM Michael D. Ober wrote:

This also supports Windows 7.

On Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:36 AM Beckett wrote:

wrote:

Avira Free
Malwarebytes Free
Spywareblaster Free (pe-emptive blocking only)
Spybot S&D Free
A-Squared Free
Super Anti-Spyware Free
Windows Defender (installed with Vista and Win7)
Use a hosts file to pre-emptivley block bad sites
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

On Win7 I use Avira, Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes, Defender, and a
hosts file.

On Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:53 AM NT Canuck wrote:

Simple, it is all in the OS already.

1. use the Windows firewall (3rd party may work
but make sure they have their own support/forum).

2. keep the OS uptodate with MU (Microsoft Updates..auto)

3. read and send all email in plain text (may require different email)

4. do not open attachments period...unless explicitly
expecting one in plain text or zip from a known source.
Also send 'on demand' not automatic...save some folks.

5. set browser without cookies, no scripting, no Java, no flash.
(session cookies tolerable..but not all obey conventions)

6. do not click on anything you do not "know" where it is going.

7. use an A/V but not actually so important if you followed above.

8. do not install anything off the web not necessary...drivers
only from manufacturer site, same with software.

9. do not kid yourself, no A/V or spyware/Trojan blocker
gives your computer or OS any actual 'immunity'.

10. if you do not follow the above, nothing will be good enough.

The Windows MSSE is not too bad, not really much worse

"slarke" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 03, 2009 12:23 AM Hans Broesicke wrote:

Windows Firewall is just that, a firewall. Defender is an anti-spyware
program. I think the OP was asking about AV software. To that question
I think MS is offering FREE AV software to all Windows users now.
Here is a write up on it:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10...r-windows-mic=

Old July 23rd 11, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_2_]

nancy eaker wrote:
Hello,

My current laptop security software has expired and with my life is put on pernament disability and now my husband has been very ill and we are not sure if he will be able to hold his current job, and others are so hard to find now. I don't like to beg for anything but our lifestyle has changed so much in the past years and one of my enjoyments I have is getting on laptop each day and keeping in touch with friends, family and other loved ones.

I hope I hear back from you. I have a windows vista program.

Blessings your way,
Nancy Eaker

You should try some of the free offerings.

I recommend "AntiVir" or "Avast!" for free antivirus solutions.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM)or SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS)for additional
protection against malware.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://malwarebytes.org/

They all have paid-for versions with additional functionality if you
desire that, and the anti-malware scanners don't have incompatibility
issues with the anti-virus scanners.

You may also want to consider Microsoft's Security Essentials, but I
recommend the others more.
Old July 23rd 11, 02:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ken Blake, MVP[_2_]

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 12:52:58 GMT, nancy eaker
wrote:

Hello,

My current laptop security software has expired and with my life is put on pernament disability and now my husband has been very ill and we are not sure if he will be able to hold his current job, and others are so hard to find now. I don't like to beg for anything but our lifestyle has changed so much in the past years and one of my enjoyments I have is getting on laptop each day and keeping in touch with friends, family and other loved ones.

For an anti-virus program, I recommend eSet NOD32, if you are willing
to pay for it. If you want a free anti-virus, I recommend one (do not
run more than one) of the following three:
Avira AntiVir
Avast
Microsoft Security Essentials
You also need anti-spyware software (even if you run a program like
Microsoft Security Essentials, with anti-spyware capability built into
it). I recommend that you download and install (freeware) MalwareBytes
AntiMalware

Please Reply to the Newsgroup