Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   Still Can't Delete a file (http://www.vistabanter.com/174660-re-still-cant-delete-file.html)

Justin[_5_] November 11th 09 04:02 AM

Still Can't Delete a file

Dave-UK wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
Dave-UK wrote:

How did you get ownership ?
You said you downloaded it from another computer onto your machine.
Right-click the file Properties Security Advanced Owner tab.
What does it say in the 'Current owner box'?
If it isn't you, you haven't taken ownership.

I downloaded it from the internet - my college's Blackboard system.
It has my account listed as the Current owner.

How's the file deletion saga going ? Still having problems?

Sorry Dave, I was working on something else.
I'm a student so I have pieces of time on and time off.
The problem has gotten worse - I not have several files that won't
delete - torrents in my Downloads folder. Now before you say somethign
abotu downloading unsafe stuff, I was downloading Formula 1 races and a
TV show - no software and they are all in the xvid format - no
proprietary players. I use VLC to play them.

Here is what I have:
When I right click and hit properties
http://www.imagebam.com/image/2b1be155594796

Delete confirmation:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/d6b92855594798

It barks at me saying it can't delete
http://www.imagebam.com/image/acab5255594799

Here is the security tab for one of the files.
http://www.imagebam.com/image/7a68f555594802

So far I tried a utilility called move on boot - didn't work because
moveonboot can't find the file. I point it directly to the phantom file
and it barks at me saying it can't find it.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/35c88755595249

Apparently there's a pointer to a nonexistent file.
Deleting in safe mode - no same thing can't find the files.
ran malwarebytes check - clean.
I tried to rename the files - no dice - access denied.
http://www.imagebam.com/image/ee26a655595106

I tried the following batch file
@echo off
del -p -f %1

goto exit
:exit

no effect whatsoever.

ran sfc /scannow
found nothing wrong.

My next step is to download a knoppix CD, boot from that and try
deleting without even entering Windows.

Dave-UK[_3_] November 11th 09 08:06 AM

Still Can't Delete a file

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Dave-UK wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
Dave-UK wrote:

[...]

I don't use Torrent software myself but having Googled your problem
apparently there is some setting somewhere where you can select an
option/button to "delete torrent & data".
I'd have a look for that option first.

This post has a method:
http://netfresco.com/tech/item-not-found/default.aspx
It's because the name of the file has spaces or something that makes
Vista think it doesn't exist or is an empty file.

Justin[_5_] November 11th 09 04:23 PM

Still Can't Delete a file

Dave-UK wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
Dave-UK wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
Dave-UK wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I just figured it out.
Thanks.

anh November 12th 09 02:48 AM

Still Can't Delete a file

You should try a couple of freeware programs that deal with situations
like this.

1) Unlocker is a good little utility.

'Unlocker 1.8.8 Download - Freeware Files.com - Utilities Category'
(http://www.freewarefiles.com/Unlocke...ram_13477.html)

2) Move On Boot is also good.

'MoveOnBoot - Rename, Move, Delete Locked Folders and Locked Files on
Restart' (http://www.emco.is/products/move-on-boot/features.php)

If those two don't resolve the problem, here is another solution, but
it's only for the technically proficient:

1) Shut down and unplug your computer.

2) Pick it up, taking care to lift it safely.

3) Put it in the boot of your car (we technicians call this a reboot).

4) Drive to a lake, a scenic one for preference. Stop off on the way to
pick up some cold beers.

5) Take computer out of boot, carry to lake edge and throw it in.

6) Take out beers and drink by side of lake, reflecting on how much
better your life is now that your computer is at the bottom of the lake.

That's it!

--
anh

-Jesus loves me but I just want to be friends, so it's kind of awkward.-

Justin[_5_] November 12th 09 11:26 PM

Still Can't Delete a file

anh wrote:
[...]

Or get a mac! I already have a Macbook 15.
I tried those utilities per advice from the kids at vistaforums.com

Right after I got the problem fixed they banned me. :)